Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: another stray dog in my chickens  (Read 17709 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: another stray dog in my chickens
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 10:16:27 am »
Ooooh, the party's getting rough, hee, hee!!!  Dad blasted dogs anyways.  I am of a firm believer that one has to protect their livestock.  There is no place for predators that should not be hangin' around, like the neighbourhood dogs.   Have the best of this beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 10:35:48 am »
Guys, I just want to chime in quick here. I may get some flack but I want to point out that chickens and dogs are both animals, and we don't want any animal to suffer now do we?

If you have to deal with a dog that is a constant nuisance, either safeguard your pets, livestock, or catch the dog and either bring it to the owner IF the owner is a good neighbor and the dog just got out, IF the neighbor is a jerk, then, either remove the dog, perhaps the epson salt or something similar that gives the owner a mess and a lesson, but lets not make any dogs suffer, ok. You are just as bad if you are making animals suffer until they die. If you are in a position where you have to 86 an animal, then 86 the animal swiftly, so it doesn't suffer until death.

One last thing, when we are upset, we don't always make good decisions, so try and compose yourself and make a logical, rational decision. pLus you'll sleep better at night.

I have been there trust me, but please lets be humane about it.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 10:55:43 am »
I agree JP and heres a good example.  Last spring I came home to find dogs had killed all of my free range chickens.  I grabbed my rifle and called 911.  While I was waiting for the sheriff, two labs ran through my field.  I didn't shoot them but instead just watch for a moment with rifle in hand.  They ran within 100ft of my barn but didn't even look in that direction.  If these had been the dogs that had killed the chickens a few hours earlier they would have been back up there sniffing around.  They were almost in the wrong place at the wrong time.  It turned out that they were from a new person that had just moved in 1/4 mile to the south of my property.  I went and talked to them telling them that they almost lost there pets and I have never had a problem with them  again.  The next day my neighbor to the south told me he had seen 2 huskies cross his farm in mid afternoon

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 12:29:45 pm »
Guys, I wouldn't want the animals to suffer, they are just doing what animals do.  The epson salts won't do any long term damage, would just make a huge stinky mess in the house...preferrably on shag carpeting, or if outside dogs, right in front of the front door or garage...middle of the walkway...heh heh!  maybe even in the CAR if taken to the vet!! WAAHAHAHAHA! :evil: Some people are not reasonable, they live in the country and by golly their animals & kids can run free wherever they want even others property.  They don't listen to reason so $$ or inconvenience is the only thing to open their eyes.  If not, S.S.& S. is the only way to go, no suffering, you can look blank saying you havn't seen em in however long (in your mind saying minutes, hours ect..)have they tried looking at other neighbors...or you saw em once wherever...not a lie, you did see em there once! I havn't caught the racoon yet but did get a possum yesterday..my daughter & I ran out to poke it, looked at it & at each other & knew we couldn't kill it. I didn't see it actually hurt any of my animals..Did poke stix in to see what it would do & look at it's teeth.  It bit the stick but only when I had been bothering it for awhile & it wanted to close it's mouth.  Their feet are really cool! We put it in the car & took it for a ride..they stink by the way so while it was hailing & snowing we had the windows wide open & heater blasting!  Took it about 5 miles away to a wooded swampy area..has to cross a river & 2 BUSY roads if it wants to come back. I know, I'm a softie! We'll see how I do when I catch that %$!!** raccoon!  Have a GREAT day!!
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 04:37:35 pm »
 Man, you guys,.....This is such a bummer.....
 But you're all ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!
 Dogs, even in the country shouldnt be on other peoples land, regardless of WHY.!
 I'm one of those people who have dogs what run all over the place. They stand in the road,....They visit nabors just to visit...They just come and go as they please, pretty much.
 At nite, they stay inside...if its too hot in the house, and they want out at nite, we close the gates off and let them out.
  The 2 Collies and the Rotty are mine from the start. Loki, The Rott/Lab mix was from next door.....The people over there constantly brought dogs home then ignored them...The hound was Pauls...It was a stray(actually "dumped" out here)..It has seizures regularly..It just decided to stay here instead of Pauls house..It was at pauls for about 2 years... Theres been other dogs here which liked it here because someone showed them some attention.
 I cant even begin to mention all the dogs which we took to the "Place" to most likely get put to sleep.
 My dogs just figure that all this land is theirs...The house next door has been empty for a long time. Now though,somebody bought it.
They're old friends of mine from years ago, and i like them just fine...Mike is a veterinarian..His wife, Tracy used to work with me. She was even on our bowling team for a year, maybe two...They've both been fishing with me and dad several times. Anyways, I told Tracy NOT to be friendly to my dogs(particularly the collies as they will be at her doorstep as soon as I go to work) Whats wierd tho...Mike was the one who I called to put THREE of my dogs to sleep at one time(NOT CHEAP)..One was BUck, A Rotty which was dumped out here. Spent 2000$ on this dog to Mike to get him fixed up. The other 2 were the choco lab which once belonged to the previous owner of the house next door and the son of Buck and the lab. These dogs tried to rip their Jack Russel apart when it came over to my yard..RIGHT BEFORE THEIR VERY EYES!!(Yeh, I know what you're thinkin'...What if it was a child?) God FORBID!

So,...If someone kills my dog (or dogs) .....I'll have to bite my tongue!..I'll be REALLY mad! :-x But I have no excuse ..It'll be ALL my fault!
 I REALLY have to start locking them down when I go to work, since we're gonna have nabors.
 Fortunately, Mike and Tracy are putting up a "Dog-proof" fence.(to go arounnd 9 acres) Tracy said that the fence(and horse arena) will be up before they move in......20,000 BUX!!!(For the FENCE) Its so that their dogs cant get out to bug nabors.
 So,....Like I said, I agree with you guys, And when I'm wrong I try to admit it.

I guess I better go see if Tracy has my new dogs yet!(Every time my friends see a family with a new pup in the area they always tell me,"Hey John, We saw your new dog!"..because the dogs ALWAYS come to my house, eventually!

well,...thats about it...Sorry to you guys on behalf of pet owners who do like me but think they have the right..I'm going to do better starting today.

your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 06:36:05 pm »
today i stepped out the back door to make a phone call and smoke.  they go hand in hand when you know you are going to be put eternally on hold, and have to listen to automated apologies and elevator music.....

i heard a dog barking and saw my horses bucking and running in the pasture.  they aren't afraid of dogs, but they do like to play with them and kick the snot out of them if they get to close.  sure enough, there was a strange pit bull mix running up and down the fence barking at them.  i took about 20 seconds to decide whether i wanted to confront this dog unarmed, but it looked like it was having fun rather than being aggressive.  i hiked out there and called the dog.  it came right to me.  i took to dog out to the road and spotted one of the neighbors guys doing some tractor work.  turned out the dog belonged to a worker and he hadn't been paying attention to it.  he was apologetic and put the dog up. 

sometimes it works out ok, but....dogs running horses in this mud and muck is a recipe for a broken leg.  most dog owners can't see their dogs doing any harm.  they don't realize that dogs don't have to kill to ruin livestock.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 01:06:07 am »
If you know who the owner of the dogs are send them a bill for the damage via hand delivery.  If they protest tell them you can take them to small claims court which will make it a public matter and cause their dogs to be listed as aggressive or dangerous dogs.  Then inform them that it is legal to kill dangerous dogs that mame or kill anything.  That should be sufficient for them to get the hint and cause them to keep their dogs up--if not follow through with complaints on vicious animals to the Police or Animal Control, after a few fines for noncompliance their dogs may be confiscated and destroyed.  And keep your rifle handy--Killing a stray dog on your property is legal if it shows any aggressiveness--it's called self-defense.  If you do kill it call the Police immediately and report that you've just killed an stray aggressive dog. 

It is too bad that pets have to suffer for their owners lack of responsibility but when they go bad they stay bad.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2008, 08:59:47 pm »
well this dog that gets the salts ,, has bit a lady for walking in the street ,,, the city has a leash law and vishes dog laws but they dont seem to care ... the city atterney sees four cars in the yard more to be conserned about ..
the guy with the dog does not think his dog done any thing wrong ....   when I first moved out here (30 years ago ),,, dogs would come up to you with the hair standying on end ,,, after I shot 6 or 7  the first 2 years  ,,, most  kept them tyed up ,,,  Ive mollowed out a little in the years ,  as its harder to dig the holes  ..  now I watch them carry the carpet cleaner in and out ....
the kid

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 02:01:20 am »
Get a posthole auger, speeds up the digging and you can go back to planting dogs.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Beekissed

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 04:04:11 am »
I had a similar problem with a neighbor's dog who killed 2 of my best rabbits, destroyed rabbit cages, chewed a hole in my garage door to get at MY dog, and bit off each and every one of my pepper plants (I turned around in my garden when I kept hearing a funny noise and there he was, glaring at me with a whole row of pepper plants bit off at the stem!).  I bought the dog a new collar and tie out and took him back to the neighbor repeatedly, once tied to the bumper of the car (don't freak out, folks, I drove slowly!) just to "drive" home the point.  He never got the picture.  I finally called the cops and they said that a landowner has the legal right to shoot dogs that cause property damage or kill livestock.  I drove him out to the homeplace and my Mom gave him quick lead therapy.  Hated to do it, but the man had chance after chance to tie up the dog....I even bought him something to tie him with! 

You know, for a small investment, one can contain their dogs in the yard AND give them running room without building a fence.  I have an above-ground invisible fence for my dogs that works beautifully!  I can increase or decrease the boundary with a flick of the finger, change the boundaries by plugging in the transmitter in a new location, etc.  You can even take it on trips, it plugs into the cigarette lighter (with an adaptor).  It is only slightly more expensive than the in-ground fencing and works much better!  We live right on the highway and no problems yet!  And, the best part, this gives them the freedom of protecting my freerange chickens, the apple orchard and garden from deer and us from intruders.  Worth every penny!  Happy dogs who get lots of exercise and entertainment and are safe from gun-totin' neighbors and fast cars...what could be better?   :)
"...he maketh me to lie down in green pastures..."

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2008, 01:41:08 pm »
Beekissed, I am with you on that.  Beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2008, 06:21:54 pm »
Last week I was walking down my drive (1/4 mile to mail box) when four large dogs began to growl and generally act mean.  Let them know I wasn't to be messed with (large stick) only to learn later that they had already killed all of my chickens (my wife caught them in the act.)  Next day they were back.  Lets just say they won't be back again.
Here we have cattle, goats, chickens and other small animals, we own 135 acre small farm.  The human population has exploded around us with the resulting dog problems.  Animal control just laughs.  So we have no choice but to protect our property any way we can.  We hate it but people believe their pets would never do such a thing.  So my Wife and I have to clean up the mess they make.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 12:33:45 am »
HAB, that is truly a really bummer about your chickens.  I am of the firm belief that if a predator comes back for round two, do what you have to do....have the best of a beautiful day, Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 12:53:30 am »
HAB, that is truly a really bummer about your chickens.  I am of the firm belief that if a predator comes back for round two, do what you have to do....have the best of a beautiful day, Cindi

Hey Cindi, if you see a predator that looks cajun don't shoot!!! :-*

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2008, 09:37:35 am »
Now my dear JP, would that be you?  Hee, hee  :evil: :) :).  Beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2008, 12:31:31 pm »
JP, Things in BC might be a little more friendly if you showed up with a trunk full of home made gumbo, hoppin-john & cornbread!!  :-D Throw in some red beans & rice & she might even look the other way whilst you wrestle with Whoppo!!...oh yea, don't forget the snips :evil:
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2008, 02:42:52 pm »
mmmmmm....gumbo.....

i have tried to make it, but it's never quite right.  it must be like sourdough bread.  it has to be made in the correct environment :-( .

HAB, i know your problem.  same here. people look at my property as a place to let their dogs run.  then they get upset when they are confronted.  like they think i'm being selfish or hogging land. 

our animal control is responsive, but they have no teeth.  i  have .45 teeth.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2008, 01:08:18 am »
I find an aggressive dog, anywhere, and it takes after me, or mine, it will be its last act.  Like KathyP I pack heat and will use.  Dogs that attack other animals are just a split second from attacking a person.  150 grains of cure is worth a pound of prevention.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2008, 10:17:02 am »
Yep, yep, yep.  If my critters were out attacking other peoples' livestock, if I caught them, they would go before the neighbour's got a chance to get them. 

My Sister raises quarter horses in a neighbouring town.  She had a mare foal a couple of years ago.  Two of her dogs ran the foal and attacked it, maiming it terribly.  Those dogs bit the boneyard that day.  No place for dogs running livestock.  Period.......Cindi

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2008, 06:54:20 pm »
Just came back from delivering hay to my neighbor, Rhonda.  She was just crying her eyes out.  Dogs had killed four of her baby goats (she has 30 goats and kids) and she was burying them.  She pens them up at night, but the dogs knawed through the corner of a 2X6 gate like a squirrel.  They badly mutilated 8 other young goats, several may have to be put down.  Her son will spend tonight with the goats and a 12 guage. :(

Just another day in the life.

anything