Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Images 800 KB - 640 x 427  (Read 6056 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Images 800 KB - 640 x 427
« on: September 01, 2007, 11:31:29 am »
Robo, when I used Irfanview to resize my digital photos, this is the size that they turned into (from 4 MB).  Is this an OK size to post on the forum, or is it still too big?  I don't want to put then on the forum if they take up too much room.  Not a computer whizzy type person, so I have no clue actually what the sizes mean or anything.  Have a wonderful day, best of this beautiful life we livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
Re: Images 800 KB - 640 x 427
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 09:24:17 pm »
Check out "VSO image resizer" its free and works like a charm. I used to use Ifranview until I found VSO.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 08:12:26 am »
Robo, when I used Irfanview to resize my digital photos, this is the size that they turned into (from 4 MB).  Is this an OK size to post on the forum, or is it still too big?  I don't want to put then on the forum if they take up too much room.  Not a computer whizzy type person, so I have no clue actually what the sizes mean or anything.  Have a wonderful day, best of this beautiful life we livin'.  Cindi
Cindi, once you resize your photo with Irfanview, you need to save it.  Do File/Save As and give it a different name from your original (so you don't overwrite it, unless that's what you want to do).  If you don't do this, you're not saving the resized copy.  Your 4 mb photo should be around 100 kb after resizing.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 10:33:26 am »
Ann, hmmm... I did do that I resized (control R) and then saved it as a different named pic(s), I always use keyboard commands, so fast.  When I saved as, the size came out as 800 kb, I am going to fool around with pics more and see if I can resize them even smaller.  When I used to use Image resizer (MS power toys), it would resize down to about 47 kb, so I think that I am still doing something wrong with Irfanview.  But, I'll work a little harder.

I think that I am going to try VSO image resizer like Mick suggested, I'll check out that program for resizing and see.

The higher quality of picture that you were speaking about with Irfanview compared to MS image resizer, in my own use, would not be of any worry to me because the only thing I do with resized images is embedd them into this forum, so I think that the quality is sufficient for here.  Anyways, gonna check things out.

A weird thing with Irfanview I see is that when I open a picture in this program the picture opens highly magnified and each picture I have to click the button to decrease the size.  It is amazing how these programs can zoom into pictures like they do.  Any ideas why Irfanview pictures open up so zoomed?  Have a great day best of our life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 10:04:42 pm »
View-Display Options-Fit Image to Window will fix the view problem you're having with Irfanview.

I do like to keep my pictures sharp, the image degradation was noticeable to me, so I stopped using that particular Powertoy.  It's nice and quick, but not for me.  But that's the beauty of software, there's something out there for everyone!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 09:26:08 am »
Cindi,

As Ann said,  that still seems about 10x too big.    I use Gallery2 to automatically resize my photos when I upload them to my server,  and to give you an example,  here is a photo I uploaded this morning.  It is 640x480 and 81KB.  It was originally 2816x2112 and 2MB

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 11:19:37 am »
Ann, good, thanks, I did that and the images were the right size.  I don't think that Irfanview is working for me though.  I tried to resize an image that I had resized from 4MB to 800 kb, the degradation was extreme.  It seems to keep a clear image in this program it needs to be in the hundreds of kb.  Still going to play with it though.

Robo, I am going to check out what you are talking about too, when I can figure it out.  I presume that Gallery2 is in the program that you mentioned in an earlier post.  I am exploring options for resizing.  I am also going to try out the VSO image resizer that Mick was talking about.  So, no pictures for a while yet.  I am still trying to get back into routine with the kids going back to school, and I don't take well to change, whether it good or bad  :) :roll:  Have a wonderful day, all.  Cindi

anything