Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chewed up bees  (Read 2622 times)

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
Chewed up bees
« on: October 13, 2012, 10:50:14 am »
Found this outside the hive today - looks like clumps of chewed up bees... the work of skunks I would guess, but I am surprised for a couple of reasons:
the hive is about 16 inches off the ground, I have the entrance reducer on the smallest opening, so wouldn't think they could get a paw in, and I see no signs of scratching at the hive entrance. Could it be something other than skunks? I did smell one in the neighborhood a few nights ago.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Chewed up bees
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 12:01:47 pm »
Check for droppings full of bee wings, that usually tells the tale of skunks eating bees.   I do not have a clue what caused this!  SOme insectivore who just sucks out the juice apparently.  I doubt that it is getting a volume of bees large enough to harm your hive.   I have a coyote drinking my feeder buckets!  Must be addicted to sugar I see it often.

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 02:57:50 pm »
Lets remember that a skunk is a member of the weasel family.  With their 'cute' bushy tail and laughable ambling gate, skunks look almost bumbling to the average American.  Don't confuse the coolness or suaveness of say a cat with agility.  A skunk is as agile as a house cat and can explore or access places that most people think would be impossible for them to reach.  If a mink or weasel can get to it, a skunk can get there too.  What kind of stands are your hives on? 

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 03:31:26 pm »
The hive is up on upended cinder blocks. I just put out a little hot-foot device to see if it dissuades whoever it is: a piece of punji foam core board. I started with carpet tacks but realized it would bea lot quicker to shoot it full of 1/2 inch staples:

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 07:04:29 pm »
I have a lot of skunks around here and had to elevate my hives and/or use top entrances to solve the skunk problem.  When I’ve had skunks bothering my hives there was always evidence of them pawing around the entrance to get the bees to come out (for dinner).  If you don’t see pawing around the entrances, then I might not blame the skunks yet…..but maybe later! 

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 08:57:08 pm »
When skunks bother my hives they don't leave any dead bees they will eat the bees that are dead in front of the hive. That looks more like bees that died and were carried out by the house bees then aints, yellowjackets or granddaddylonglegs chewed on em.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 09:11:55 pm »
Looks like assassin bugs or the like to me...dessicated.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907