Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wow...not sure what I am in for  (Read 2538 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Wow...not sure what I am in for
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:49:48 am »
Hello all,
    A guy called me yesterday and said he had purchased a farm that had beehives on it and wanted someone to come and remove them.  The guy mentioned a large amount of supers, I don't know what I am in for but am going to check it out Friday if the weather permits.  Yesterday it was 73 here in Missouri, we are expecting snow tonight.  Makes life interesting.

David

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
Re: Wow...not sure what I am in for
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 01:04:05 pm »
David, I had the same thing happen to me last fall. I ended up with 13 double deep hives with 12 of them full of bees. I got them very late and it snowed almost imediatly so I lacked the knowlege and experience to check them all out before winter. This site has helped me a lot along the way, but I lost 9 of the 12 through the winter. Good luck, it sounds like you have the same weather there as we do here. On Sat we were about 55 degrees and beautiful at noon. At two you could not see your hand in front of your face and we got about 8" total. Let us know what you end up with.
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 02:23:53 pm »
Yes indeed Frantz, a lot depends on the weather.  Thought I would go out and at least see if there is visable signs of life...lol.  I am not sure when the last time the hives were looked at or if the guy was a beehaver vs. a beekeeper.  At any rate will see what transpires. 

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 06:26:29 pm »
10-4, keep me posted I am interested to see what you find when you get out there.
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"