Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Air Traffic Control Building-Cutout With Pics!  (Read 8402 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Air Traffic Control Building-Cutout With Pics!
« on: March 13, 2008, 12:30:25 pm »
I could add to this story later as I'm in a hurry to go on yet another removal. The bees are keeping me busy!!! I would have posted this last nite but got in late and after I took a muscle relaxer for my back, I was zombied out and incoherent. I tried to post trust me, but was falling asleep plus my computer was running slow.

Anyway, in a nutshell, big hive about 2 and a 1/2 yrs old, my best guess. Houma Air traffic Control Building, had to go in from the floor as the bottom was fiberglass, and they preferred me going in from above to facilitate repairs. Filled a deep and a medium! And almost didn't get the queen, but did, there's more to that later.

After we did this one, we went to look at another one for FAA and when I looked at the bldg, I could see activity over the roof. That's the picture of the red tower. It was either a swarm or an established colony about to swarm outta that door, not sure, they wouldn't let me get on the roof, high security issues, where they need permission to shut down the bldg and all, Air traffic control rules, anyway...

Finished the day at my friend Baileys where he loaded me up with fish and a bottle of mead he brewed himself. Boy is that stuff good!!! Kinda reminds me of a zinfandel but sweeter, just terrific. We added about a 4lb package worth of bees from two innerboxes I vacuumed from the cutout I did to bolster one of what he calls weak hives. Let me tell you his hives are all pretty gentle and strong. After that we watched the purple martins come in to roost and that was cool, then I was on my way home. Hope ya'll enjoy the pics.
http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/March122008

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: Air Traffic Control Building-Cutout With Pics!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 12:44:46 pm »
That is a monster hive.  Doesn't look like it was too bad of a cutout.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 01:21:29 pm »
Wow!!!!!

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 02:09:39 pm »
Nice pics. JP - I'm amazed at the # of calls you get for hives and\or swarms... Good job..!

(off subject for a min.)

I have a son that was stationed in Mobile,Al. in 05' when Katrina hit down there.  He was re-deployed to New Orleans and Mississippi for a few months of clean-up.  I noticed you're alittle southeast of NO..  Are you from there and\or did you get wiped out by the storm..?  We were there a week or so afterwards. You had to have been there to appreciate the destruction mother nature dealt that place...amazing.

(Back on subject)

Do you contribute the unusual # of bee calls ( or do you not think the #s are unusual for that area ) to the 1000s of hive destroyed during the storm...?  There must be 1000's of ferel hives in and around your area now.  I just believe all those hives you're seeing are from more than other beekeeps hives..  What do you think...?  Just curious....

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 02:23:59 pm »
Those are very interesting questions...I always wondered that myself.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 02:28:22 pm »
I would bet that the one in the window was someone's hive at one time.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 04:50:29 pm »
Another fantastic job. Just one question.

How long did you stop air traffic for?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 11:35:41 pm »
Another fantastic job. Just one question.

How long did you stop air traffic for?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The job took six hrs but they turned on the equipment after 3.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 12:04:04 am »
  JP!!!!
 You ARE the KING!!!!!
 I mean, to me, you really seem to "Have it Going on!"
 You're doing someting that I (and i bet alot of other people here) would love to get into! I've caught a few wild bees and swarms before and I'm content with this. But You are really a "Pro" it seems to me!
 You're the kind of person that when people talk about you they say"Hey, I know that guy!...he's the bee catcher! He's like, One real cool Cat!".
 Well,...Its my pleasure to read your writings and be able to talk back and forth with you in the forums!

your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 12:11:23 am »
  JP!!!!
 You ARE the KING!!!!!
 I mean, to me, you really seem to "Have it Going on!"
 You're doing someting that I (and i bet alot of other people here) would love to get into! I've caught a few wild bees and swarms before and I'm content with this. But You are really a "Pro" it seems to me!
 You're the kind of person that when people talk about you they say"Hey, I know that guy!...he's the bee catcher! He's like, One real cool Cat!".
 Well,...Its my pleasure to read your writings and be able to talk back and forth with you in the forums!

your friend,
john

My name is dirt. Just fortunate to have these calls, that's all John, just in the right place at the right time is all. Thanks for the build up though, yeah, I'm the king, I'm the king! Of what I'm not sure, my wife says of nothing.

...JP

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 12:20:48 am »
heh, heh,...
Your wife and mine must be related! I dont get any respect either!
(But I wont tell HER that!)
your friend,
john

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 12:21:52 am »
The wife is needed to bring you down from your high horse. Ever hear that one???

Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 12:35:06 am »
The wife is needed to bring you down from your high horse. Ever hear that one???

Annette

Yep, constantly!  :-D

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 12:40:17 am »
She loves you!!!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 12:46:11 am »
She loves you!!!!

Yes Annette, we nag the ones we love, most.  :evil: :-* ;)

...JP

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 01:04:19 am »
hey annette! Truly, I have a GREAT wife!
 We dont agree on neither politics OR religion....But She is the sweetest person you will probably ever meet!
 We met on the internet almost 10 years ago.
I still like it when she goes with me to my haunts! She loves everybody she meets and I get the compliments on how fortunate i am to be married to her!
 Well, I been fooling around tryin to get a picasa pic to come to imageshack with no success.
But this is what she looks like!  V
                                           :-* Isnt she perdy?
I'll send a real one as soon as I can figure it out!
your friend,
john

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 03:21:17 am »
Wow Jp Hopefully they will let you go and get that one on the red tower. Looks like a swarm. Boy I sure wish I had your calls with all those bees. I would not have to buy 2 packages. I am doing that cut out tomorrow hopefully it is not as windy as it is right now. Yuck bad windy. I wish I had your help and Brendens help tomorrow. I will have my hubbys though but some times he is better to keep the hell out lmao if you know what I mean. He trys to give out suggestions and he dosnt know what the heck he is doing. He is just there to help with the wood work as he has a construction degree and he works with wood good.

Off Topic a bit

MMMMM Muscle Relaxers them are goddsssss. I love my soma. And am glad I can take it 4x a day safely. My pain management dr said it is safe to take it every 4 hrs up to 4x a day. And to take it with my Norco break through meds. As what ever pain meds you take with Soma they work togather to make them work better. The only muscle relaxer to do that. I would not be able to do what I do with out them and my duragesic patch. Allot of people say I dont look sick or that I hurt that much .Mainly because I hide it well and it is somewhat controlled. which if it wasnt with my fibro and degenerative discs I would be one hell of a mess. I will be for sure by tomorrow I will be eating my breakthrough meds and soma like candy. Although soma is nasty bitter. It takes me about 30 to 45 min in the morning with the fibro to get my muscles warmed up and working well. I am so stiff in the morning (no comments guys lmao) that I feel like I am 80. And then there are those bad days like all winter and cold days when nothing works and I have to stay in bed, What do you take your muscle relaxer for and what do you take. Soma is the only one that works for me.

Sorry guys I got off topic. I am just glad I am not the only one who takes it. Makes me feel not so alone. People ask me how do you do it all with chronic pain and 2 kids. I tell them If I had to sit and not do anything and be house ridden I would die. As I am a very active person and sitting would be the death of me. I have to go on with life.             

And hopefully the bees will help me with that when I get propolis and pollen and honey and stings.

Angi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 06:17:42 am »
Angi, you are one gutsy chick! It must be quite a challenge for you dealing with your pain issues, if I had a magic wand I would gladly poof them away for you, you dear soul.

I had a leg injury, that required me to hobble along, favoring my left side, which put strain on my lower left back area. For about 3-4 days I was in agony, had trouble sleeping, standing, or sitting, of course while still trying to work, the pain was unbearable. When I went back to the doctor to get my staples removed from the leg wound my back pain was at its peak. I had major troubles sitting, waiting for them to put me in the next room. While waiting in the private room they placed me in I decided it would be best to lie down. After a short while the doc came in to remove the staples but I literally could not get up from a lying position. He had to help me get up. Long story short, well, I know I rambled a bit, anyway, after he removed the staples, he said we better look at that back. He gave me an antiinflamatory and a muscle relaxer, celebrex and flexerill,? Something like that. I can only take the relaxers at night as they would put me out completely and I would have trouble getting up in the morning.

As far as the red tower one I think its a swarm too. The established hive is in the eave of the bldg about 10' up. It will be an overhead one for sure.

Wish I could go with you on that cut-out, 12' up on a ladder, good to have a second hand, I usually don't but it would help. It just takes longer by yourself. Good luck, have fun, and take lots of picks, please.

...JP

anything