Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: popsicle stick starter strips  (Read 2678 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
popsicle stick starter strips
« on: February 26, 2008, 05:20:36 pm »
I have made some medium frame popsicle stick starter strips(3+ sticks per frame so they go all the way across) for crush and strain honey production.  A few of the sticks "flopped" a smidge in the top bar groove.  Will the slight tilt of the sticks make the bees  draw out the comb whacky or won't it matter at all?

If the bees do start drawing comb in the wrong direction how do you encourage them to fix it without adding a frame with foundation next to that frame?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
Re: popsicle stick starter strips
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 05:52:58 pm »
If the hive is level, you shouldn't have a problem.  If they start crooked, I just bend it back where it needs to be.  If it crosses over to another bar, cut it loose and bend it back.  If it won't stay, wrap a rubber band around the frame to hold it.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:47:44 pm »
>Will the slight tilt of the sticks make the bees  draw out the comb whacky or won't it matter at all?

No reason to expect anything crooked.  The sticks are just there to get the comb in line with the frames.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 05:24:45 pm »
Thanks for your responses.  That gives me much more confidence.  I have committed 12 honey supers(and will make more) to the crush and strain idea and I am a bit uneasy about how things will go.  Thanks again.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB