Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Transferring resources from a deep to a medium hive  (Read 2387 times)

Offline stella

• House Bee
Transferring resources from a deep to a medium hive
« on: April 17, 2013, 05:05:02 pm »
Hello all,
I have an 8 frame empty deep hive from a colony that died off late last fall (It went queenless). The frames are full of honey, pollen and drawn comb.
I am switching to medium hives and the package bees are scheduled to arrive this weekend. It is in the 40's here for highs.
To get the bees off to a good start in bad temps, I would like to feed them some of the honey and pollen from the deep but of course those frames dont fit into the medium hives. I also have a medium honey super with some empty drawn comb on frames that would fit.
It is all on plastic Rite-cell foundation.

Is there any way I can transfer some of the honey or pollen?
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Transferring resources from a deep to a medium hive
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 05:13:38 pm »
Stella, are your new mediums eight frame too?
You could look at Michael Bush site for some ideas.
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 05:33:14 pm »
No, they are 10 frame mediums.
I have considered stacking another medium and adding a couple deep frames in with the mediums. Because these are new packages and it is cold here with snow on the ground, I am afraid it will add too much dead air space.
Since it might be too cold for syrup. I am pondering this idea.
If I try to cut a few deep frames down wont I wreck the honey?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:43:48 pm by stella »

Offline ralittlefield

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 06:14:45 pm »
If you have an extra 10 frame deep box you could put it above the inner cover, scratch the capping on the frames of honey, and put the outer cover over it.  They should move the honey down.  I would do it one or two frames at a time. 
Ralph Littlefield

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 07:51:37 pm »

If you have an extra 10 frame deep box you could put it above the inner cover, scratch the capping on the frames of honey, and put the outer cover over it.  They should move the honey down.  I would do it one or two frames at a time. 

That is a good suggestion, but will they break cluster in the cold temps to go up to it and back? Im having the same thoughts about syrup and candy. I can put it up there, but will they go get it?

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:12:10 pm »
You could try to cut just the comb to medium size with a utility knife. Then cut the two side bars to match with a hand saw. The bottom bar is thrown in trash. You just have to take your time and work gently. You would destroy the deep frames, but who cares.
At least you wouldn't have to worry about them getting to it.
Later, after they get established you can rotate the funky comb to the outside and then out.

Offline Cadman

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 01:06:26 pm »
What I have found to be the easiest, is to put medium frames in a deep box with the deep frames. I am guessing that not all 8 deep frames are full of honey/pollen. I put medium frames in the deep and pull the deep frames as they get used up. They will build 2 to 3 inches of comb under the medium frames that you can later cut off and rubberband into an empty medium frame (if you don't mind foundationless). Over time you will have all medium frames that you can transfer to a medium box. I find this easier that stacking two medium boxes and putting deep and medium frames in and converting that way.

Offline ralittlefield

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 01:22:21 pm »

That is a good suggestion, but will they break cluster in the cold temps to go up to it and back?

Do they need it right now?  If so, I would get some emergency feed on them (dry sugar on newspaper on top of the frames) and save the honey for when it warms up.
Ralph Littlefield

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 01:39:24 pm »
You may do arrangements in summer.
It is better that bees build up in peace.
Actually you have no hurry in that  job.
Take deep boxes off when they are ready to that. Be flexiple with your self.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 09:51:46 pm »
I sort of remember what I did when transitioning from deeps to mediums. I had all these frames of brood and pollen.

I remember Michael Bush said to just place the frames of brood into a medium super with another empty medium super below it. Then the deep frames just hang down into both supers. When the brood was born, then I just removed those frames. Regarding the frames of pollen, I just cut them down to size.

With the frames of honey, might be easier to just extract it.

anything