Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Working with Kenyan Topbar Hives - Videos  (Read 2367 times)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Working with Kenyan Topbar Hives - Videos
« on: February 11, 2008, 03:22:02 pm »
I stumbled across these videos on YouTube.  This guy has a series of videos showing you how to work with KTBHs.  He also mentions things for working with AHBs and there is also a good bit of general information here.  I found it useful as I plan to build a KTBH in a few days.  A couple of things that is shown that I would do differently is:

1) Wear at least a veil (you'll see why  :evil: ).
2) Lower the TBH if placed on a stand.  He seems to reach a lot when working the bars.

Other than that it was pretty good I think.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?p=r&user=ebutoooy&page=1
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Working with Kenyan Topbar Hives - Videos
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 03:25:59 am »
It also shows how strong unsupported comb can be for those contemplating foundationless frames. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 06:44:14 am »
I love how that natural comb looks real pretty stuff.  That guy likes to smoke the heck out of his bees though.  lol

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 09:14:03 am »
It also shows how strong unsupported comb can be for those contemplating foundationless frames.

I was surprised about how strong it was for him.  That gives me a lot of confidence when my KTBH gets going.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 07:27:01 pm »
Do you super these hives or just take honey from the sides?  Looks really neat, I'm almost curious to try one.  :-)

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 09:03:41 pm »
KTBH looks much more user friendly than the 8 frame way I am going...Can these be purchased or do they have to be custom made...hhhmmm

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 10:55:59 pm »
Do you super these hives or just take honey from the sides?  Looks really neat, I'm almost curious to try one.

Just take honey from the honey frames.  The plans I am using are from Mr. Bush's website.  There are two sets of top bars, 1 1/4 inch and 1 1/2 inch.  The 1 1/2 inchers are for the honey frames.  The narrower ones are for brood.  When you need more room for the hive to expand, you'll take the honey from the honey frames and add the bar back in after robbing.  Do a crush & strain to extract.

KTBH looks much more user friendly than the 8 frame way I am going...Can these be purchased or do they have to be custom made...hhhmmm

I don't know if you can buy them commercially.  I am building mine.  I have the top bars done and I just need to make a trip to get some more lumber to do the hive itself.  Check out Mr. Bush's site for the plans.  You can do it with just a table saw.

I have been doing a lot of reading on these hives and I really like them.  I am trying one this year and see how it goes.  I don't think I will have a whole bunch of them but only a few to play with.  If nothing else, it is fun and very satisfying to build the hive from scratch.

One advantage that I see aside from that of which Mr. Bush explains on his site is that you can accumulate wax for other things.  Some might find this to be a disadvantage but I think that if you (or someone else) wants to try making candles, soap on a rope, or whatever, you'll have wax available.  I am hoping to get my wife a little more involved and hopefully she will get into making something(s) with the wax.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

anything