Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Vibrating the bees out ?  (Read 5648 times)

Offline rayb

• House Bee
Vibrating the bees out ?
« on: May 11, 2008, 01:52:00 pm »
There are bees in a friends building and he may not want the building cut into for the removal.

I know we can put a one way screen cone on the entrance and slowly evict them. To hurry the process could I make their environment uncomfortable by just attaching a vibrator (like the hand held back vibrator) to the wall and setting up a constant irritation ? Anyone ever try something like this?

OK, I can also take comical remarks about the proposed technique!!!

Thanks, Ray

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Vibrating the bees out ?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 02:13:32 am »
He really needs to get all the wax and honey and other removed..... Or he will have to do it later.

BUT.... I have heard of a knocking method where one knocks on the truck of a tree and the bees leave. I never tried it. Perhaps vibs will work  :?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 07:49:18 am »
Drumming will get some of them out.  I'm sure it's either the rhythm or the vibration or some combination of the two.  Perhaps a vibrator of some sort would have a similar reaction.  Take a stick and just tap tap tap on the wall and you will get many to come out.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 03:57:07 pm »
after the bees are out, the wax will melt and the honey will run.  he'll end up with a bigger mess.  better to suck it up and clean them out properly.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline lovelyembalmer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 04:30:41 pm »
Honey without bees, not good for the building. Tell him if he doesn't want you to get everything. Don't bother because he will have to tear into it any way if you do get all the bees.

We had someone want us to get bees out of a house. They did not want us to cut. We told them to leave alone then. Next day, the son in law who worked with my husband came in and said, "You will not believe what my father in law did!!" then proceeded to tell my husband that he had tried to smoke the bees out with a flaming mop and caught the house on fire. The bees left and they had to explain to insurance company why the house caught fire.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 08:22:20 pm »
this was the hardest post to not respond to... so many comments come to mind :-D :-D :-D

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 01:58:30 am »
Jay Leno's favorites are stupid criminals, like the 2 guys who decided to steal the copper wire from the high tension wires.  They forgot they were underload and only 1 was well enough for his arrignment.
My favorite is stupid people.  Do you realize there are 2 TV programs that specialize in home videos starring stupid people?

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 06:11:49 am »
There are bees in a friends building and he may not want the building cut into for the removal.

I know we can put a one way screen cone on the entrance and slowly evict them. To hurry the process could I make their environment uncomfortable by just attaching a vibrator (like the hand held back vibrator) to the wall and setting up a constant irritation ? Anyone ever try something like this?

OK, I can also take comical remarks about the proposed technique!!!

Thanks, Ray

Ray, what's the status of this colony now?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline rayb

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 09:21:11 am »
JP,

Thanks for asking..Been out of town this week and will start Saturday. Home owner wants them out but does not want the building cut into (I told him what you all said about getting everything out) .

So I will try the one way cone like Michael Bush describes and, yes, will even try the vibrator held against the column they are in. Who knows, it may work. If not, maybe it will put a smile on their face.

I'll let you know, Ray

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 09:58:47 am »
research trapping, there's a whole lot more to it than you think. You don't want to wind up with a bunch of queenless angry bees.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline rayb

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 10:04:23 pm »
Well, I tried the vibrator on the exterior of the column for about one hour. Although the bees seemed a little confused, there was no grand exodus from the hive. I'll send Jay Leno a copy of the video. One never knows when you might be on the edge of a great discovery. Oh well.

I did set up a one way cone and it is working well. Many are going into the box I put next to the cone . The box has some old brood comb, honey, lemongrass oil and a frame of brood and bees.

After the owner saw the setup and I described how long it might take, we agreed upon opening up the column from inside the building (kind of like a big shed). I should have very good access to the entire colony which may be up to seven feet tall.

Thanks for all the input. After reading about other members' experiences, I'm really looking forward to this. I'll take pictures and post if I am able.

Thanks, Ray

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 01:01:29 am »
Ray, good luck to you, please take lots of pictures. If you get stung take pics of that too, the people on the forums really enjoy seeing these pics best.

One more thing, and I mean this sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, throughout my entire being, my very existence...

Can I please have a copy of the video of you vibrating the wall????? :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

...JP ;)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 10:23:08 am »
JP  :shock: :shock: :shock:  :?  C.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 10:30:46 am »
JP  :shock: :shock: :shock:  :?  C.

What??? You wouldn't wanna see that? :-D :-D :-D

...JP

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 02:17:53 pm »
anybody have any instructions on making this one way cone?

Offline rayb

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 10:42:21 pm »
Sean,

Check out this site by Michael Bush, it describes different methods:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesferal.htm

I made my cone by taking old window screen and rolling it to resemble an ice cream cone shape. Then loosen/fray the wires on the small end just big enough for a bee to squeeze by. Leave one or two loose wires  in the way so they can squeeze by but can't get back in. I then stapled the wide end of the cone to a thin board and duct taped it to the exit of the hive.

Ray

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 10:54:19 pm »
Amen! Amen!, I wanna see the video!!!! Bring on the Video, we have our ways you know.
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"