Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Norton Wine Recipe  (Read 9677 times)

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
Norton Wine Recipe
« on: August 15, 2007, 09:08:47 am »
Does any of the wine makers out there have a good recipe for Norton grapes?
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Norton Wine Recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 02:32:59 am »
BMAC.  OK, what on earth are Norton grapes?  Specialty?  Got my curiosity going here.  Have the best of this beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 08:32:26 am »
It is a red wine grape that makes a fabulous dry red wine.  They use it also for making nice Ports.  Their alias is Cynthiana grape.

They are the popular grapes planted here in the Midwest and all along the East Coast.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 01:54:34 pm »
BMAC, nice, I like the dry red wines and my husband loves port.  Would be a lovely grape to have and own.  Have a wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

TNWT

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 12:44:28 pm »
Need a Norton grape recipe, try this for Beef Stroganoff.  (I was not allowed to post URL) so try going to the fahrmeiersmmarket blogspot and under food and wine find the recipe.

About the Norton Grape:
There are 225 Norton wineries today in 23 states.  Finding that exceptional Norton wine is like kissing a lot of toads to find that prince(ss).  After tasting now 104 different Norton wines from sixteen states, we have found a few (6?) exciting Nortons and a handful of other really good wine examples which vary annually due to production whims. Many people want instant wine gratification upon purchase, but here is where that does not work since most Norton wines need to be put away for several years, ~ something most people are not willing or able to do.  To date, we've found only a few "drink now" Norton wines; as, Westphalia and Peaceful Bend in Missouri and Castle Gruen in Virginia.  And wineries that hold back their wines four or five years also consequently charge you more for these wines (Stone Hill Cross J Norton as example).  But not to discourage you in Norton wine purchases, you will enjoy even younger Norton wines if you let your bottles rest even for a few weeks after purchase (travel bottle shock) and make sure to let your Norton wine breathe for no less than 40 minutes before serving.  Your first sip will smack you of malic acids (+ tannins), but quickly settle down with the second sip, etc.  Depending on your travel location, do try the best Norton wines within the following states: White Oaks (AL); Mount Bethel (AR), Three Sister (GA); Century Farms (TN); Elk Creek (KY); Castle Gruen, *Cooper, DuCard, Chrysalis $$(VA); Stone Mountain Cellars (PA); Heinrichshaus, Stone Hill's Cross J, Montelle, Robller, Peaceful Bend and Westphalia (MO).  Please do not compare this wine to California and European vinifera, it's truly an American wine which reflects our American culture.  Doug Frost, a Kansas City wine writer and master sommelier expressed Norton wines best as "powerful, muscular, crazy intense in malic acid and capable of staining teeth or even wineglasses.  [The wine is] probably something most drinkers have to learn to love, with its rough and rustic personality often evident."  Another concern for many is the cost of Norton wines.  Realize that grape production can be less than one third per acre with Norton grapes as compared to other grape yields because of its small size and extremely seedy fruit.  There are other factors involved also, but generally expect to pay $18-$25 per bottle.  Most less expensive Norton wines reflect anticipated quality, but here we also have some fine exceptions; as, Horton ($12-$15 VA), St. James ($8-15 MO), Illinois Cellars ($7 IL).  and White Oaks ($13 AL).  Try to find Norton vineyards with older vines which combine well with more experienced Norton vintners.  But here again, we have been pleasantly surprised with new Norton upstarts who make amazing blends to camouflage their young green Nortons.  Do yourself a favor by enjoying Todd Kliman's novel-like-Norton biography, The Wild Vine, with a Norton wine in hand.

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 11:19:55 pm »
Try Jack Kellar or Honeycreek Winemaking for recipes in making wine.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 09:52:34 am »
I never even consider something that i have to train my taste buds to tolerate if they dont like it to start with just because some one else said it is good
to bee or not to bee