Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nectar after rain.  (Read 6622 times)

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Nectar after rain.
« on: November 11, 2011, 08:35:13 pm »
Hi guys,
Does anyone have an idea how long after rain, which usually washes the nectar out of flowers, before the nectar gets replenished and the girls can start harvesting something useful again? I'm thinking Eucalypts specifically but any flowers in general will do. I only ask because the local yellow box is flowering and after the heavy rains in Melbourne during the week I was wondering if the girls are still getting much out of it and if I need to whack on an extra super.
Thanks,
B

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Re: Nectar after rain.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:12:47 pm »
Anyone got any thoughts/observations on this one?

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 10:07:56 am »
Hmm...I don't have much.  I have heard it takes anywhere from hours to days for flowers to replenish.  It probably depends in large part on the flower too.  A short lived flower won't be as affected as one that lives for days, is my guess.

I think one hard rain will wash it out, but there will be forage within a day in sunny weather.  Keep an eye on the hive, if they look like they need the extra super, go for it.  If in doubt, I always keep one or two extra on the hive.  I'd rather have an extra super on than have them run out or space.
Rick

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 12:39:49 pm »
I read one documentary where plants turn the nectar on and off so as to have the bees flying from flower to flower instead of staying at one flower and filling up. That helps the plant get pollen from another plant. The author talked about one of the plants he was studying adding nectar and then turning it off for 15 minute intervals over a couple of days. I'm sure all plants have there own schedules.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 07:04:19 pm »
I read one documentary where plants turn the nectar on and off so as to have the bees flying from flower to flower instead of staying at one flower and filling up. That helps the plant get pollen from another plant. The author talked about one of the plants he was studying adding nectar and then turning it off for 15 minute intervals over a couple of days. I'm sure all plants have there own schedules.
Jim
Really, I'd like to see that study, that's interesting!

And yes Scadsobees, I think I might put on an extra box. Thanks guys.

Offline Monster1970

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:31:26 am »
Bernsad,

Not sure how well the flow is going in Melbourne, but up here is Brisbane they are really starting to drag it in! We havent had any rain for a while now (acutally could do with some), but last time we had a storm I noticed the girls didnt seem to bother hitting the trees around the hive until the next day. The storm had passed through by about 3.00pm, so there was still plenty of sun left to collect if they had a mind to.
We have designed our civilization based on science and technology and at the same time arranged things so that almost no one understands anything at all about science and technology. This is a clear prescription for disaster.  

Carl Sagan.

Offline dING

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 07:19:35 pm »
Last year leatherwood season was very wet

Over the whole season

Result was a 50-70% drop in production
Getting older dont make ya smarter just more cunning

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 08:52:10 pm »
Reports at the club meeting on Thurs. night indicate it is quite patchy around Melbourne, I'm doing pretty well though.

50%-70%, that's a hell of a hit.

Offline dING

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 08:20:08 pm »
Drop in production was in the order of 200,000 kg I recollect seeing

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 10:30:05 pm »
You're telling me I should savour the jar of leatherwood I've got in the cupboard at the moment. Or do I sell it on ebay to the highest bidder? :lau:

Offline dING

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 06:16:00 pm »
Better hurry next leatherwood season starts January

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 08:15:42 pm »
Good tip, thanks. :)