Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: wintering question  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
wintering question
« on: September 06, 2007, 11:46:48 pm »
Is it feasable to keep frames that are full of uncapped honey in a hive arrangement for winter stores? My past experience is that even when the bees bring in abundant stores in September (from foraging or feeding) they don't seem to get around to capping a lot of it.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: wintering question
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 11:52:12 pm »
If the super is kept on the hive, yes.  If you remove the super from the hive you would need to freeze the frames in order to keep it from fermenting or being invaded by parasites.  I've left on supers that weren't totally capped over the winter, sometimes what was left was a little vinegary.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 11:41:07 am »
Brian...   I have some capped honey in frames from last yr. that I just found. It wasn't frozen - it's been in the barn all yr..  If that honey has fermented ( and how can you tell if it has ) can I still feed it back to the bees or is that not a good idea.  Thanks.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 12:10:25 pm »
If it is capped, it most likely will not ferment.  If it did ferment it would be oozing and you would smell it.  Chances are there is nothing wrong with it. If other insects or rodents haven't had a it, it is still good for human consumption.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison