Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Changing hive direction question  (Read 2415 times)

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
Changing hive direction question
« on: April 05, 2013, 06:37:54 pm »
Since I am building a stand structure for my hives I will need to change the way direction one of them faces.  The one I speak of is currently facing almost due south, it will need to be facing almost 180 degrees different, close to due north. 

My question is, is there a proper procedure for doing this or should I just turn the thing around and move it a few feet?  My plan is to do this after dark so that all the bees are inside.  Once they come out tomorrow morning they should notice that they sun is from a different direction thus needing to re-orient themselves. 

My fear is that the bees will be trying to enter the hive from the south when in all actuality the entrance will be facing north.  I don't want to confuse the bees by moving it midday.... 

As always, it could be that I'm thinking too much! 

Please advise.

David

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
Re: Changing hive direction question
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:28:05 pm »
you can do two things ,turn the hive to where you want it to face and put some branches and grass in front of the hive.this will make them reorient to the hive or turn the hive 90 degrees for a few days and then another 90degrees .I did both ways and they both work.    schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 08:14:03 pm »
I mostly just turn mine around.  But if both moving and turning I would do that in stages.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 04:49:20 pm »
Turned it 90 degrees and they seem thoroughly confused but figuring it out.  There are several bees on the side where the entrance used to be but eventually they are figuring it out.  It doesn't help that it's cold and windy here today.  Tomorrow it's supposed to be warmer so hopefully the bees will reorient themselves....

David

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:46:16 pm »
david , they will figure it out.when I move the hive like that I like to watch thm go to the spot where the hive was and then watch them figure it out.cool stuff.    schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 11:44:50 pm »
Thanks - Over the past couple of days I have moved the hive the full 180 degrees.  I agree that the bees ultimately find the opening however many many were confused for a long time.  They are so curious.  They would land on what would have been the correct side before the rotation, then crawl all around what is now the back of the hive looking for the opening until they either saw or heard the bees in the front then they'd walk around to the opening.  It was kind of neat to see them figure this all out.  They truly are amazing creatures. 

My next task is to lift the hive off the pallet and onto the new rail rest structure I built them.  I'll attach pictures once all hives are situated into their new homes.  I expect this to be tomorrow evening once all bees are back in the hive and my neighbor is home from work and can help me lift the hive onto the rails. 

Best of luck to all!

David 

We are expecting near 70 degrees this week so full scale inspections are in order... first of the season.  I'm really looking forward to getting in their to see what the brood nest and stores look like coming out of winter.  Needless to say - SO EXCITED!