Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brushy Mountain Free shipping  (Read 27769 times)

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
Re: Brushy Mountain Free shipping
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2009, 03:19:09 pm »
It's not like anyone can really do anything with the stuff until spring anyway and besides, it's FREE!

Still the occasional warm (>60 F) day down near me. On the next warm day, I'm going to replace my falling apart all wood outer covers with the metal topped ones that just arrived.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2009, 07:55:20 pm »
I made my order on the 29th and still haven't got a shipping notification  :'(
WOW ! Robo. Like lakeman indicated, better give them a call to be on the safe side. I got my order from Dadant within 3 days. Received the Brushy Mountain order in 7 days.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2009, 08:00:05 pm »
I got my order in under 5 days. No offence guys and girls but in all actuality who cares how long it takes to get an order this time of year? It's not like anyone can really do anything with the stuff until spring anyway and besides, it's FREE!
This is true and we are greatfull to say the least, but some get, little time here and there in their busy lives to do the things for themselves and to take advantage of the off bee season to build and prep for the spring.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2009, 09:26:25 am »
Found out it was a book that was on back order holding it up.  Book supposedly came in yesterday so my order should ship soon.

No offence guys and girls but in all actuality who cares how long it takes to get an order this time of year? It's not like anyone can really do anything with the stuff until spring anyway and besides, it's FREE!

3 reasons I can think of.

1. You are getting something to give as a Christmas present.
2. You ordered wine corks for your Christmas cheer.
3. You are preparing equipment to go south in January for splits.

I'm sure there are other reasons as well depending on what you ordered.......
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2009, 10:41:03 am »
This coming Monday I expect my order from Brushy to be on my doorstep. Many beekeepers besides Natalie wait all year for this special myself included. :-D I would imagine if they are a little slower it's because of all the extra orders from frugal beekeepers like myself.. I think them sending me my 154 lb order in four boxes in one week is very respectable. Using the UPS Shipping chart in the back of the catalog to calculate what I saved in shipping cost it appears it would have been around $100-$110. That's 153-169 unassembled frames shipped to my front door. Not too shabby in my book. I'll take it......I'm not proud. :-D :-D :-D
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2009, 12:40:40 pm »
 I think them sending me my 154 lb order in four boxes in one week is very respectable. Using the UPS Shipping chart in the back of the catalog to calculate what I saved in shipping cost it appears it would have been around $100-$110. Not too shabby in my book.
Your exactly right woodchopper. Both Dadant and Brushy to make such a offer, with the cost of what shipping is, makes them A#1 in my book also. With what was saved on the five boxes that Brushy sent me @ 219 lb. It paid for my smaller order from Dadant. To bad Mann Lake don't make such a offer also.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2009, 02:17:43 pm »
I got my order in under 5 days. No offence guys and girls but in all actuality who cares how long it takes to get an order this time of year? It's not like anyone can really do anything with the stuff until spring anyway and besides, it's FREE!

I don't think its a matter of how long it takes as much as its just to know your order is all set and will be on its way.
I once ordered a bunch of stuff from Brushy Mountain and waited a couple of weeks before calling to inquire and found out my order was never processed because they had a question on it and no one called to ask me about it, another time they double billed the charges to my credit card, when I called to let them know the fixed the charges but someone also mistakenly canceled out my order. I found this out after again waiting a couple of weeks and then calling to see what was up.
This is why you call to see if there is a problem.
 Rob ordered on the 29th, that is 13 days after placing his order and had not recieved notice of shipping, not even the order itself but the notice that it shipped and as you said you got your order in under 5 days after ordering.
Are you saying that if you are reading that everyone is getting their orders within a couple of days of ordering and yours wasn't shipped yet you wouldn't be curious to what is going on?
I didn't hear him complaining about the company or the service or acting ungrateful about the free shipping, just voicing an observation.
I also don't see where I was complaining about the shipping(since you say guys and girls I am assuming you are referring to me) I simply suggested that Rob give them a call to see if there was a problem because of what happened to me.

Brushy Mountain offers free shipping in December and I would say its a very smart business decision for them.
That is why Dadant is jumping on it too.
While its a nice gesture and no doubt we all benefit from it, lets not assume its because they love beekeepers so much they just want us to save money, its good for business.
This is typically their slow period so they get business they would normally not get and they earn return customers from it as well.
 How many of us would spend all kinds of money on beekeeping stuff in December with Christmas right around the corner if it were not for the free shipping offer?
This is actually the worst time of year for most people to be spending money on beekeeping supplies.
While you may have to eventually buy it you don't have to buy it from Brushy Mountain and they realize that.
I ordered $2000.00 worth of equipment from them in the past year because of this promo.
I would not have bought as much as I did if I had to pay shipping, that is for sure.
While there have been times I needed something and ordered during a time when I paid shipping I saved enough during the promos that this didn't bother me and Brushy got more of my business.
I order from other places only when I can't get it from Brushy and I do recommend  them to alot of people.
While I appreciate saving money I would say it benefits everyone involved and I do give them credit for recognizing that.

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2009, 09:40:25 pm »
While its a nice gesture and no doubt we all benefit from it, lets not assume its because they love beekeepers so much they just want us to save money, its good for business.

Hello! There are some beekeepers west of the Mississippi too! I do not think we benefited from it.

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2009, 09:43:27 pm »
"While its a nice gesture and no doubt we all benefit from it, lets not assume its because they love beekeepers so much they just want us to save money, its good for business."

Hello! There are some beekeepers west of the Mississippi too! I do not think we benefited from it.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2009, 11:19:21 pm »
I am referring to the people posting in this thread, if you read the whole thread.
There are also people in Katmandu and Tasmania who did not benefit from the free shipping promo either but they are not in this discussion so I did not refer to them either. :roll:
In this discussion we all ordered from them and the topic is that, we are discussing our orders, the shipping times etc. and we all did benefit from the free shipping promo.

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2009, 11:48:49 pm »
I ordered $2000.00 worth of equipment from them in the past year because of this promo.
I would not have bought as much as I did if I had to pay shipping, that is for sure.
Natalie, did you ever figure out how much you saved on shipping with a huge order like this ? I know you mentioned $400 earlier but the shipping cost on a $2000 order seems like it would be higher than that. Must of weighed alot too.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2009, 08:19:25 am »
Natalie, did you ever figure out how much you saved on shipping with a huge order like this ? I know you mentioned $400 earlier but the shipping cost on a $2000 order seems like it would be higher than that. Must of weighed alot too.

I believe you misunderstood Natalie, she did not say she ordered a $2000 order under the holliday (that is Christmas holiday) order, if you read it correctly, she has ordered $2000 worth of product over the last year. She could have ordered some of this from elsewhere, where it may have been slightly less costly, but out of appreciation of the free shipping in previous years Christmas holiday orders, she exhibited loyalty to Brushy Creek, by ordering from them throughout the year.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2009, 08:29:09 am »

You are way out of line here, if you expect every body anywhere to receive free shipping. Brushy Mountain free holiday shipping offer is a smart buisiness decision, but I think this is also a goodwill decision for the owners, and honestly expresses their appreciation for their customer's business throughout the year.
They also give free shipping to persons getting into bee keeping, and upon graduating from a local bee clubs beek school, get their first initial order upon starting out free shipping also (which I appreciated very much)

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2009, 09:25:55 am »
With the high cost of shipping (and packing), and the majority of bee keeping products being quite wieghty, only a fool would give free shipping from the east coast to the west coast, and I do not think ANY of our suppliers are fools. Instead of your negative comments towards Brushy Mountain for not giving free shipping west of the m'p'i, you should express a negative attitude towards your suppliers on the west coast, for not matching the special for ya'll west of the big muddy.  I have seen some special sales advertised by suppliers west of the m'p'i, that I would like to have taken advantage of, but it would not have been wise of me, because of the shipping cost, so I could not take advantage of these sales. This did not lead me to think that the vendors our side of the muddy should match this offer.

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2009, 10:45:36 am »

I believe you misunderstood Natalie, she did not say she ordered a $2000 order under the holliday (that is Christmas holiday) order, if you read it correctly, she has ordered $2000 worth of product over the last year. She could have ordered some of this from elsewhere, where it may have been slightly less costly, but out of appreciation of the free shipping in previous years Christmas holiday orders, she exhibited loyalty to Brushy Creek, by ordering from them throughout the year.
Good point. You are right I guess I did comprehend it wrong. I'm getting slow in my old age. :-D :-D When She wrote " I would have not bought as much as I did if I had to pay shipping" I just took it for granted she was taking about the free shipping special and not all year. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2009, 12:54:50 pm »

Thanks Lakeman, you have it exactly right.
I have ordered supplies during the spring and summer when I realized I needed something I had not ordered during the promo.
I did a cutout and caught a swarm this year and ordered and paid shipping for two garden hives, I also needed more supers and ordered them, I did not mind doing that because I saved so much on shipping in December.
I am sure I have spent as much on shipping as I have saved on shipping.
I may have been able to get them cheaper somewhere else but I wouldn't know because I never checked, as I said the free shipping promo earns this company return customers who appreciated that they saved on shipping.
The only time I order from another company is if I checked with Brushy and they don't carry what I need.
They do not carry as much 8 frame equipment as betterbee so when I needed 8 frame slatted boards I had to order them from Betterbee or when I needed solid bottom bars to make my foundationless frames I had to order them from Dadant, but I first checked to see if Brushy Mountain had them.
If I had to have paid for all that shipping for every item I ordered I would not have ordered as much from Brushy Mountain, I would have not felt that I owed them any loyalty and not bothered checking with them first for every item I needed, I would have just ordered from the one that was offering it the cheapest, which was the point of my post.

This is from my last post:
While you may have to eventually buy it you don't have to buy it from Brushy Mountain and they realize that.
While there have been times I needed something and ordered during a time when I paid shipping I saved enough during the promos that this didn't bother me and Brushy got more of my business.
I order from other places only when I can't get it from Brushy and I do recommend  them to alot of people.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2009, 02:43:24 pm »
I am a shrewd shopper, and when making a purchase, I look for the best deal. When I needed bee supplies, I checked numerous suppliers, and shipping automatically culls a supplier from the west coast (especially since recent terrific price increase in shipping charges), and the suppiers on the eastern US, all are very close in price, one item will be a little less here, and another item a little less there, and the total prices will average out. So who gets the order? The one that gave me free shipping on my first initial order getting into beking, and who will also give me a free shipping order at the end of the year, allowing me to stock up on my expected needs for the coming year, with no shipping charges. If I need anything during the next summer that I cannot build myself, Brushy Mountain will get the order.

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2009, 08:17:36 pm »
Ok I am posting here because i ordered from brushy mountain Some Items on the first! but never got a e-mail saying when  my order was shipped so I check their web page and check on my order now it says not shipped back ordered does not say what item or Items theys are gifts for christmas. If this is not a shirt over the head and punch to the gut! I hope other people far better then I did BAH HUM BUG to you Brushy MT.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2009, 09:16:55 pm »
Ok I am posting here because i ordered from brushy mountain Some Items on the first! but never got a e-mail saying when  my order was shipped so I check their web page and check on my order now it says not shipped back ordered does not say what item or Items theys are gifts for christmas. If this is not a shirt over the head and punch to the gut! I hope other people far better then I did BAH HUM BUG to you Brushy MT.
If you ordered on the first of this month I'm surprised they were backordered that quick on something. What did they have to back order on you if you don't mind me asking ? I didn't expect them to have what I ordered because I waited so long to place the order. I've always found them to be top notch. Sorry you are having problems with your order.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2009, 10:07:26 pm »

I would think that in your case, living on the west coast you would be ordering from a supplier much closer to you because of the high shipping cost (you would not qualify for free shipping, living in Washington).

anything