Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: uncapped honey, eatable?  (Read 11357 times)

Offline scott

• New Bee
uncapped honey, eatable?
« on: October 04, 2007, 08:54:17 pm »
hello everyone,

I had two supers that had approximately 1/3 of the honey uncapped.  Obviously leaving 2/3 capped, per side of each frame.  The end frames were not capped at all and I did not extract it.  I extracted the remaining frames and ended up with about 40 lb. of honey.  I understand that if it isnt capped then the moisture content is to high for the bees.  My question is, is it eatable?  If so, will it have a shorter shelf life?  Or will it ferment?

Thanks
Scott 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: uncapped honey, eatable?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 08:55:48 pm »
It will have a short life and it will ferment.  But it's edible now, and if you like mead it will be drinkable later...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline scott

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 09:06:28 pm »
Thanks Michael,

Any idea how short the shelf life will be?  I have never made mead before but maybe I should just make mead out of it, I have seem alot of recipes.

Thanks again
Scott

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 09:46:49 am »
borrow a refractometer and measure. i think it will have a normal "shelf-life"
people around here use quite a few different methods of "measuring".
some say 1/3 capped is enough so..if you say 2/3....

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 10:07:15 am »
Hmmm...I don't know about it fermenting.  I don't doubt that you Michael do know, but in all my reading I have learned that 1/3 uncapped honey, 2/3 capped honey on a frame is OK to extract and it will not ferment.  So, I do have doubts about the fermenation.

This honey that has been extracted could have the moisture content reduced further by using the methods that have been described in other threads in this forum.

One comment that really stuck out in my head was one I think that came from Robo.  He said that if he is in doubt about the moisture content of the honey he shakes a frame of uncapped honey, if the honey stays within the comb, the moisture content has been reduced sufficiently, the bees just haven't gotten around to capping it yet.

So, I don't know, I don't think this question has been answered sufficiently.  Have a wonderful day, great life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 10:48:38 am »
Giv'em back to the bees if they are needed. Look into brood box and if theres an empty or undrawn frame replace w/ partially filled and capped one. Freez for emrgency feeding too if needed.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline scott

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 11:31:52 am »
thanks for the advice, but I have already extracted it.  Also the hive bodies are deeper then my supers.  Maybe that is a good reason to go all mediums.

Scott

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 07:38:02 pm »
I extracted some frames this summer that were partially uncapped. I followed the "backyard beekeeper" book. In the book it is stated that you turn the frames over and shake. If nothing drips, then it is cured enough to extract. The honey I extracted tasted delicious and I still have some left and it is fine.

Hope this helps
Annette

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 07:41:55 am »
In the book it is stated that you turn the frames over and shake. If nothing drips, then it is cured enough to extract.

I take it one step further and give the frame a firm jerk.  If nothing comes out you'll be fine.  I have used this method for decades and have never had an issue.  This seemed to be a strange season in many ways,  and uncapped honey was one of them.  I had a lot of it this year for some reason, but extracted most of it and had no problem.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Old Timer

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 10:06:49 am »
honey is 18% or less water. anything more can ferment. you can always use a refractometer if you are unsure about the moisture content.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 01:13:13 pm »
So.....it takes alot of honey/food to make wax to cap honey.  If there is such dearths, I would imagine that honey would simply not get capped, the bees know.  It takes too many of their valuable resources to finish capping comb.

The problem with uncapped honey in the hive is that the moisture in the hive can be reabsorbed by the honey.

Honey is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture from the air.  Never leave your jar of honey that sits on your counters open, inviting all kinds of kitchen odours and moisture.  Imagine honey tasting like onions and garlic.  Those are two of the mainest (is there such a word, hee, haw) ingredients' aromas that float around my kitchen, yeah!!!  Ummmmh....make a delicious chicken soup, with lots of the aforementioned and turnips.  Turnips were a thought that Michael put into my mind the other day.  Oooops, here I go again, off topic, eeks!!!  Have a wonderful day, love our life we are all livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service