Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Lining Success  (Read 3889 times)

Offline Bees-in-Art

• House Bee
    • Bees in Art
Bee Lining Success
« on: September 01, 2009, 06:48:09 am »

I took the day off yesterday to walk my dog on the North York Moors - I noticed some honey bees and followed their line over half a mile of heather moorland. I found where they were headed. Hidden behind a wall somebody had made an apiary. I was a little disappointed as I was hoping to find a wild hive, but I'm always intrigued to see someone else's operation.

In this case the beekeeper has towed a trailer over a considerable distance into the field on the edge of the moorland. There's a chicken wire fence - I guess to keep out the sheep. They've used those orange hive straps from France. And travel screens made from green plastic mesh sold in garden centres, were stored on top of the roofs.

Andrew

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Bee Lining Success
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 11:51:19 am »
Very nice place for a walk and good job on the bee lining.

What kind of plant is that in bloom...........sure is a lot of it.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Bees-in-Art

• House Bee
    • Bees in Art
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 06:50:15 pm »
Hi G3,

That's heather - have a look at my other post: 'Sunrise and Hives' - explains all.

Andrew

Offline Mehmet Yüksel

• New Bee
  • Mehmet Yüksel
    • Beekeeper from Germany
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 07:05:52 pm »
I like this picture,thanks :-D
I'm from turkey and live in Germany and I like Beekeeping very very much.
My Beekeeping Homepage http://mehmetyuksel1.blogspot.com

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 05:24:42 am »
Great photos - but it sure looks disorganized to me.  And entrances seem to not be South oriented (by the looks of the straps).  Maybe this is not as important as I thought.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 10:39:19 am »
Andrew, that first picture was probably one of the prettiest things I have ever seen.  The blue lavender in the forefront, the farmland behind, wow!!!  That was something that made my heart yearn to have been walking by your side, looking at this fantastic view.  Thank you for sharing this part of your country with us.  Have that most beautiful day, to love and live, with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Bees-in-Art

• House Bee
    • Bees in Art
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 05:24:06 pm »
Great photos - but it sure looks disorganized to me.  And entrances seem to not be South oriented (by the looks of the straps).  Maybe this is not as important as I thought.

Hi Paul,

I think that this beekeeper has literally just dropped the hives straight off his trailer. This is probably good for the beekeeper's back by minimising effort, but probably bad for drifting. In fact these hives were very close together. Despite this they looked busy enough and healthy enough and I expect that they'll do very well here. The weather hasn't been too bad this last month or so.

Interesting what you say about south facing entrances, as one year on the moors my hives were positioned by a wall which blocked the morning sun, whilst my friend's caught the first rays of sunshine. Guess whose bees were last to come out?

Hello Cindi,

Yes it was a lovely walk. I walked into the valley just below the farm that you can see on the top, and found this wonderful waterfall.

Andrew

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:51:10 pm by Bees-in-Art »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 10:42:52 am »
Oh Andrew, another most beautiful picture.  Those rock levels, how pretty.  I would  love to have been there, I would have probably sat for a very long time, on those cool, damp rock steps, listening, smelling the pure air that always accompanies falling water.  The sound would not be that loud to be an annoyance, just the slight sound of water passing over rock, beautiful.  Got any more of these type of pictures, I, for one, would love to look at them, being taken to those beautiful places in my mind's eye.  Have that most glorious and wonderful day, great health.  Cindi

I was so impressed with the lavender and the waterfall, that I have saved these images on my computer.  If you mind, please tell me and I will delete them.  I have the lavender field as my desktop picture, I only wish it was a little more clear, sigh.  I guess that is what happens when pictures are moved around.  Say the word and I will delete them from my computer (but I do hope you don't mind, smiling).  C.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service