Welcome, Guest

Poll

How many have an Epi Pen

Yes
21 (41.2%)
No
30 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Epi Pen  (Read 22159 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Epi Pen
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2009, 11:19:58 pm »
It's strange that this thread should come forward now. A lady I am mentoring through her first year of beekeeping was stung this afternoon. She went through the class we give here, where we recommend all new beekeepers who haven't been stung recently, ask their doctor about an epi-pen. She lives in the country, so decided it was best to have one. She even took a sting this spring while in town, to see if she were allergic. She didn't react at all. Today she calls and says it's been one hour and she has hives on her torso and her tongue is swelling. I told her to call 911 immediately. They told her to use the epi right then, while she was still on the phone. By the time EMS arrived, the tongue swelling and the hives were subsiding. It's my opinion the epi saved her life. I keep a couple on hand and always will.

Micheal Bush, I guess, has never been in the U.S. Army. If he had, he not only would have seen one, but would have been instructed on how to use it and would have carried it anytime he was "in the field". It is a standard issued item in the field gear.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2009, 11:44:12 pm »

As far as liability, I just took a first aid/CPR coarse and the instructor was adamant that good Samaritan laws in most states save you from any liability. It will in North Carolina for sure. In fact we trained in using one.  I suppose anybody can sue anybody if the want to, but I think you are protected.

David

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2009, 12:52:58 am »
As a beekeeper, the wife of someone who gets a bit reactionary to beestings and a first aid/CPR instructor, I can see no good reason to NOT have an Epi-Pen. The last set we bought even came with a trainer. They are very simple to use. And, they are not deadly when used on someone who is not having a reaction, at least not as frequently as they are deadly when NOT used. I carry one in my bee kit when I go to the hives.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

anything