Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Italian or Carniolan ?  (Read 3356 times)

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
  • Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
Italian or Carniolan ?
« on: November 25, 2005, 10:02:05 am »
I am a recent beekeeper. I have five hives, 4 Italian and 1 ferel. I have had good luck but am interested in results Carniolan vs Italian. If you have kept both I would be interested in your comparisions. Can you give me a few pointers?

Also would you keep both Italians and Carniolans in the same yard?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Italian or Carniolan ?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 12:30:39 pm »
Italians are, as Marion Ellis called them one day, "brood rearing fools".  Carniolans are more frugal.  If the weather is decent the Italians are rearing brood.  The Italians overwinter with a bigger cluster than the Carniolans and eat more stores in dearths because they don't have sense to cut back.  The Carnis fly in colder weather, stop rearing brood in a dearth and cut back to a small cluster in the winter and need a lot less stores.

I like them both, but I prefer the Carniolans for my climate.  I'd say in the deep south the Italians would probably do better.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Italian or Carniolan ?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 03:31:10 pm »
In Illinois Italians seem to work for me the best. :)
Ryan Horn

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Italian or Carniolan ?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 02:23:32 pm »
I kept carniolas 10 years but some year they were awfull to swarm,. I do not like them any more. Italian are god. Italians are many traces, bad ones and good ones. When I took italians again, my average yield jumped 80%.