Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Early season push.  (Read 2811 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Early season push.
« on: January 26, 2013, 07:34:29 pm »
As I have said a few times here and there I see an early buildup in my bees. 

I'm racing the bees. Building new nuc boxes and making frames like a madman.

In the past 24 hours I have burned up my old compressor.  Got a new one. Put together 200 medium frames
And installed wedge bar starter strips on all of them.
Have the wedge bars broken out of the next 100 frames and might start on them in an hour or two.
( and I still feel like I'm running way behind. )

Trying to fill all 75 nucs with frames as fast as possible. 
( hummm.  Didn't I get into these bees because they were relaxing?).  :-D

Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
Re: Early season push.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 08:12:42 pm »
You could always take a vacation in Minnesota. We will be lucky to see a bee fly in another month.

Wishing for your kind of problems

John

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 08:34:31 pm »
Oh.  It is a good problem to have. Just wish our weather would have allowed more work in December.
We got rain for 3 weeks
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 08:48:10 pm »
Scrambling here to till my garden before any more rain. Ground is still pretty moist and planting spring plants inside for possible early planting. My bees are everywhere right now looking for the goods.Left some broccoli flowering and keeping em a bit happy when they are not chasing me. Hives are about three hundred feet from my property and last year when I had two hives in the yard I didn't have as many bees as is flying around now. Sounds like a good problem.  :-D
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 09:09:24 pm »
The only thing I'm pushing is a bunch of snow! :(

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 09:20:56 pm »
i've got a colony that is almost out of room and i think clover is going to kick in early.  i'm going to florida this week to buy supers.  i think you're absolutely right they are going to get of to a real early start.

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 09:43:43 pm »
Bailey: I am in complete and total agreement!  It's happening early!!  :shock:  Already done two swarm removals here in the last 2 weeks.  Drones are flying strong!  Citrus is in bloom, mango bloom has already passed...it's going to be an early and hopefully booming season!  I was forced (by the bees) to do a December walk away split, which now has a strong laying queen.  I've got boxes and frames built, and ordering more supers on Monday.  It's gonna be FUN!   X:X   :cheer:   Think of your building time like the last minute shopping before Christmas!   Enjoy the 'relaxing' times!!   :lau:  Best to you and your bees!  Hope your bee year is an excellent one!  

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 12:28:39 pm »
Yeap, you fellows up north have to deal with the cold and your bees in the hives for long spells.  I think the most days in a row that my bees did get out was about 3.  They get out nearly every day, maybe not all or flying much but out of the hive.  We also have usually a day or some during each month you can inspect.  They are flying every where now.  Haven't seen much in bloom here yet though.  May yall all have a great year with your bees.

Joe

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 07:07:03 pm »
I filled 59 nucs with frames this weekend ( 300 ) frames.
Finally have more boxes than reservations,   For now. 
On to painting the remaining new nucs ( about 20 more )

This year I'm going to operate under the delusion that I will be caught up enough this spring to allow some early crabbing.

Oh jp!!!!!         Want to go crabbing? :-D
Bailey

Offline Course Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 12:46:58 pm »
I'll be putting some deeps together in the next month and a half before SPRING hits. I need to really move to keep up with the pace around here. So, does early spring in LA mean early spring in the North as well?

Tim
Tim

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 11:27:57 pm »
Course bee

Don't know.  I'm just going by what the plants and animals are showing me. 
Your animals and plants up north might not be saying the same things ours are.  :-D
Bailey

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 04:49:30 pm »
crimson clover is blooming in the median of 431 south in east central alabama today.

anything