Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Marking frames  (Read 8991 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Marking frames
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:40:23 pm »
Does anyone mark their frames for anything,Like for rotating out comb, cut comb, or anything else. My next question would be what would you use to mark the wood frames, I'm wanting to mark mine but not with anything toxic.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Marking frames
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:43:48 pm »
i have used a sharpie when i have put brood frame in.  wanted to be able to look for queen cells and not tear  them up.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 12:09:35 am »
We mark all our frames on one end and place the mark to front of the hive.  If we don't sometimes later as we look at them we will rotate them and inadvertently put them back in in the opposite orientation.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 12:09:55 am »
How about stapling a colored string or colored chalk, crayons would work

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 12:32:40 am »
I have purchased nucs with marked frames.  These marks mean nothing to me but I am sure they meant something to the previous beekeeper.  After a while all these frames with markings from different beekeepers start to get confusing.  So I pay no attention to them but I do place my own markings on frames once in a while just for special circumstances and on a temporary basis.  I use someting that I can change instantly.  I like to use different color tacks.  When I inspect a frame I do the same routine ALL the time so that I Place it back to its original location.  Either a designated marking or a tack can help just in case you get confused but now that means that ALL your frames have to have this same designation.

Regardless.......my preferred marker is a tack.  And that is my final answer.
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:39:01 am »
Gaucho, that's a rather tacky solution. ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 02:41:43 am »
Gaucho, that's a rather tacky solution. ;)

...JP

But it is short and to the point.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 08:37:55 am »
I rather have a "tacky" solution than a "sticky" solution.
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 09:45:59 am »
I rather have a "tacky" solution than a "sticky" solution.

Well, you have both.

...JP :-*

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 10:18:50 am »

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 12:24:34 pm »
You can use tacks that are same color as the queen color that year then you know how old the comb is and when to rotate it out if you do that type of thing.  I rotate mine out every 5 yrs.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 02:16:07 pm »
Does anyone mark their frames for anything,Like for rotating out comb, cut comb, or anything else. My next question would be what would you use to mark the wood frames, I'm wanting to mark mine but not with anything toxic.

Dallas........

May bee I'm old but use wood and wax for frames and a pencil to mark the frames on the ears of the top bars.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 10:35:05 pm »
heres an idea -month & year-  http://www.hobbytool.com/metalnumberstampingset.aspx
 :) RDY-B

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 11:57:20 am »

Ok, so far reason's for marking frames......(i condensed them and copied them into a file I keep on my computer so I remember them)

- rotating out comb, cut comb.
- mark frame to front of the hive for orientation.
- when i have put brood frame in.  wanted to be able to look for queen cells and not tear them up.
- same color as the queen color that year then you know how old the comb is and when to rotate it.

Anything else??

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 11:10:25 pm »
Well one could also mark the frames for:
Year first used.
Type of foundation
Brood or honey comb.
Width (1 1/4" or 1 3/8")
Housal positioning

Yes you've guessed it, I'm a list kind of guy.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 08:34:10 am »
I mark mine with a month/year when treated with BT for wax moth.  It also just helps me be sure each frame has been sprayed since those that are not, the moths seems to find easily. 

Offline JhnR

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 06:34:42 pm »
I have a few old frames that were marked, from center frame, in a direction depending on the
'Y" configuration of the comb.  I don't remember where this came from but I'm sure Michael would know.
I think Lisby (sp) tried this.

I should have read slaphead's post above....Housal positioning.

John

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 09:46:01 pm »
Yes, that marking would be for Housel Positioning.  Dee Lusby is a firm believer in Housel Positioning.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline IABeeMan

• House Bee
    • Natures Best Honey
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 11:19:10 pm »
 We vacationed last year in CA during the allmond push and got to see a couple of the laydown yards waiting to be moved into the Allmonds. There were several Commercial giys that had names, abbreviations, and other markings marked on each frame as well as the boxes. Most were branded or marked using a wood burning pen of some sort. They gentlemen I asked about marking his name on each frame about stated he and most of the others marking them did so due to the large number of colony theft that occurs there. Even more amazing was the massive laydown yards with endless numbers of hives from all over this country cramped into the confinements of the yards. They were 2 pallet wide rows (4 hives) and just enough room to get the fork lifts down. The yard we were in was approx. 15 acres and we were told it was a small yard by allmond standards.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 12:53:17 pm »
As I said earlier, I mark the frames when I spray them with the bt moth control spray.  I have been using a permanent marker but that just does not work so well when there is wax & propolis on the frames. 

So I went to harbor freight and got some steel letter and number stamps for about $10.  I did a little testing on some wood and if I heat them up a bit, they work well. 

Still though, not sure this is better than a colored flat thumb tack except that I like to mark the month & year on the frames as I recall they will need to be resprayed in a few years. 

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35121