Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flooding in Atlanta washes away beehives  (Read 14273 times)

Offline Mason

• House Bee
Re: Flooding in Atlanta washes away beehives
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2009, 04:24:29 pm »
Boxes and bees are the least thing I have gained from beekeeping and therefore the easiest thing to replace.  Am I wrong for valuing the knowledge gained and the experience of beekeeping more than boxes and bees?

Not only did much of my family return to N.O. to complete loss but I have also spent the last 3 days helping a friend haul wet sheet rock and rotten food out of his house.  So by comparison a couple of wooden boxes is not the traumatic.  Sorry. 

Those of you that bashed me for my post just don't get it.  To accuse the people who choose live in New Orleans of being stupid for living there would also have to make the same accusation of anyone on the coast, California, the pacific northwest, the rocky mountains or even the plains for living near their respective natural threats.

So easy for people to just take the PC easy out.  Bees are not very politically correct.  The sick weak and no longer useful are banished and killed.  Insects in general are brutal.  Maybe there is a lesson there.

Linda,  I know losing your bees stinks.  It is relevant to this form and your blog.  I live in Marietta and my hives did not get flooded.  If you need a few built out frames and some bees just let me know.  I know it must be frustrating to have lost your bees but the important thing is that you hopefully had a good time,  learned something and maybe got some honey.

Boxes and bees are easily replace.   
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2009, 04:44:22 pm »
If a teenager gets killed while speeding in a car, you don't tell the parent "You should have taught the brat how to drive within the law".

It wasn't what was said in your post, it was the fact it didn't need to be said, and was done in a very crass way. You can post what you want, but the damage has been done and it can't be taken back. Some things just should not be spoken, whether true or not.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2009, 06:11:40 pm »
what?

I placed no blame on anyone. 

Really....your comparing the loss of a child to the loss of a couple of bee hives?   

Of course you have done a marvelous job of proving my point. 

Thank You

Linda just basically said she lost her hives to a flood....bummer.  A relevant post for this form about hive location etc.  That's how we learn.  Some others decided that it was a trauma to end all traumas and launched a big pity party.  I called you out on it because it is NOT.  It's just another day of beekeeping and another experience we can all learn from.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2009, 06:40:30 pm »
 :pop:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2009, 06:42:39 pm »
 :-D  if they were my boys, i'd make them clean the barn, then do laps in the arena.   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2009, 07:10:29 pm »
We're thinking about re-thinking the platform.  The hives were each on two single cinder blocks - maybe taller (2 cinder blocks high) next year and maybe not so close to the creek.
Linda T

tillie, thanks for your eloquent writing on your blog.  Sorry for your loss.   I think that Planning for that 100 year flood makes sense.

Quote from: Mason
Linda just basically said she lost her hives to a flood....bummer.  a relevant post for this form about hive location etc.  That's how we learn.  Some others decided that it was a trauma to end all traumas and launched a big pity party.  I called you out on it because it is NOT.  It's just another day of beekeeping and another experience we can all learn from.

Mason, did you ever have a dog that got poisoned, or lose a bunch of chickens (that you knew by name) to coyote, or have geese killed by owls, or sheep killed by dogs, or ducks killed by a pair of foxes, or a cat run over by a car?

That was part of growing up with my kids and family.  Yes, we didn't lose a child, but we still had some losses that we had to get over.

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2009, 08:16:09 pm »
>>>>Really....your comparing the loss of a child to the loss of a couple of bee hives?<<<<

No, I'm saying the proper response to anyone grieving for any reason is NOT, "Tough titty, Miss Kitty. Get over it."

Now, if you don't get it, I doubt you ever will, so I'm gone. I won't post again about it.   
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2009, 10:02:50 am »
Hello Tillie,

I added it up tonight and we had something like 33.5 inches of rain in 44 days between the 27th of December and mid May.  A lot of that was continuous rain.  The flooding down the Burdekin River came from areas of higher rainfall.  Now it's just about another record for the most days with no rainfall.

Tully, on the coast NE of here, generally shares the Golden Gumboot Award with Babinda, but the gumboot is quite big so I think it stays in Tully now.

There have been dust storms from the West over the past couple of weeks.  An old timer down the street reckons there will be floods again this wet season, because in 1945 dust storms preceeded the big floods of '46.  We'll know in a few months if he's right!

Lone

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2009, 01:50:04 pm »
Hi Tillie,

So sorry to hear of the loss of the Blue Heron bees.  It's hard to comprehend the magnitude of the floods in your area.

Wishing you well,

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2009, 04:32:46 pm »
Just so everyone knows I am a good sport.  All my bees died this past weekend of mysterious causes.  I started a new thread about it but so far the cause is inconclusive. 

For the record:  I am bummed out about losing my bees but already have more ordered and planning to try again this spring.  I feel I have learned a great deal,  have more equipment and precious built out comb so still way ahead of where I started. Those of you that felt I was a jerk can say karma caught up with me.  For those that understood what I was trying to say will understand that I indeed had conviction to my comments.

Cheers