Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spam question.  (Read 3781 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Spam question.
« on: February 03, 2007, 08:51:11 pm »
Is there a way to stop it? I have two email accounts and they are being filled with spam.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: Spam question.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 10:38:01 pm »
I use Mailwasher Pro.  Well worth the money.  You're not going to avoid spam, all you can do is mitigate it.  :(

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 10:47:48 pm »
IMO it's the job of your ISP to filter that out.  My old email used to get 2000 spam a day.  Literally.  I just abandoned it and got another address.  I also got another ISP.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 11:24:06 am »
Is there a way to stop it? I have two email accounts and they are being filled with spam.
What E-mail client are you using and what OS ( Windows/Linux/OSX )?
The best E-Mail client I have found is Google Mail I never get unwanted content in my in box and I can get to it from any internet ready computer.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 11:38:07 am »
One of them is Yahoo. Not too worried about that one. The other is "Outlook Express 6" on "Windows XP" The outlook has a block feature but there are so many on there already it takes a while for the thing to pop up when you click on it. And these spammers just keep changing there names.

Sometimes I wonder if it is possible to send them all this stuff. Just combine all the junk mail and send all of it back to all of the spammers.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 05:12:21 pm »
One of them is Yahoo. Not too worried about that one. The other is "Outlook Express 6" on "Windows XP" The outlook has a block feature but there are so many on there already it takes a while for the thing to pop up when you click on it. And these spammers just keep changing there names.

Sometimes I wonder if it is possible to send them all this stuff. Just combine all the junk mail and send all of it back to all of the spammers.

Google is the best. And it's free. Most spammers are very clever and use phony addresses that prevent you from mailing back to them. You have to be a sleuth to track down where the spam actually comes from. Most of it comes from Asia. Outlook's block feature doesn't work very well because it doesn't analyze the content of the message.

I have Verizon for one of my e-mail accounts and they have their anti-spam software turned up so high that it often deletes messages I want. Most ISPs offer spam blocking. Some are better than others.

If you're using yahoo, I recommend switching to google.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 06:11:27 pm »
I'd support the idea of switching to google.  I abandoned AOL just because I don't like how it handles html or attachments.  Yahoo left me with piles of spam, and hotmail would too.  As far as I'm concerened, I'll just be using Gmail for a while.  They even have a spam folder where it's dumped and doesn't add on to your alloted space for the inbox (2800 Megs I might add :-D) and the spam is automatically deleted after a month.  And, best of all, it's free.

http://gmail.com

anything