Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gloves prevoke stings and a question  (Read 6572 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Gloves prevoke stings and a question
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 11:38:43 am »
hi
   i started out using gloves, found i couldn't feel properly ,i find I'm allot gently with out th am.Do get hit every now and than ,i put it down to being ruff.

Doesn't have anything to do with you being rough or not, (well, you def don't wanna go at it like a bull in a china shop) some hives will just have bees that are more ornery at any particular moment. Moods change, one day a hive is nice and gentle, another day, that same hive may have a few that wanna hit ya.

I don't generally wear gloves (rubber ones) either but always have them close by in case a hive goes psycho.

I always give my hives smoke before exploring.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline dhood

• House Bee
    • WD Hood Apiaries
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 05:24:53 pm »
Jp, change your profile picture man. Nobody wan'ts to see that.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 06:19:58 pm »
I buy thin leather driving gloves.  Usually advertised as "doeskin" or "buckskin".  The bees CAN and sometimes DO sting through them, but not often and the stinger usually doesn't get planted into you too well, but the dexterity is good.  I tuck these into the elastic sleeves of my bee jacket.  You do need to get a bee jacket that is oversized so the sleeves aren't too short otherwise the sleeves will pull off of the gloves when you reach out too far.

Good point about the oversize bee jacket. I bought mine to fit now the only place I get stung is on the wrist where my jacket ends and nitrile gloves begin. It is absolutely amazing how a bee can find that tiny bit of exposed skin in a millisecond and whamo

Keith

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 09:20:51 pm »
Jp, change your profile picture man. Nobody wan'ts to see that.

Hey its halloween!!! Who doesn't want to see a pumpkin moon!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything