Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thinking of making hive top feeders....  (Read 2497 times)

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
Thinking of making hive top feeders....
« on: April 26, 2012, 01:30:48 pm »
I have some deeps i cut down to mediums and now i have these scraps..... I was thinking about making hive top feeders.

Whats the best type ? Should i have the screen that keeps the bees in ? or should i just make a  opening for them to crawl out of ? Also how big should the gap be ?

I was thinking about making a miller type with floating slats. Just thought that would allow more bees to feed at once.

Also when using these feeders should i pop them loose once in a while ?

Any down sides to using them ? I Just cant find any one gallon jars. (trust me I've try'd)

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
Re: Thinking of making hive top feeders....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:25:39 pm »
to me the best hive top feeders are mason jars :-D

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 03:13:58 pm »
Save the scraps for dry sugar feeding or for feeding patties. I dont use any wooden hive top feeders anymore after constantly having to repair the leaks on them. I use chicken waterers and frame feeders now.

Offline melliferal

• House Bee
  • @Checkmite
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 03:59:37 pm »
What someone really needs to invent is a top feeder that doesn't manage to somehow collect at least a half dozen dead bees in it between fill-ups.  I cannot imagine for the life of me how they get in there.
Recently moved; re-keeping in 2014.

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 08:21:56 pm »
I have built some miller type feeders and I like them. They do collect a few dead bees but not too many if the floats are made from 3/8 " pine.
Cut your 3/8" slats on a five degree angle and leave 1/16" between the slats.

John

Offline AndrewT

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:19:50 pm »
I had some cut-offs from doing the same thing, making deeps into mediums.  I use mine when I feed syrup with ziplock baggies.  some, I cut in half and added a new side piece on so they fit my five frame nucs.  I've got some on now.

Baggies are great, but your hives have to be fairly level, and I've learned that if you make your slits closer to the top of the bag, you can change it out without having to wait until they get every bit of syrup out.  With the slits closer to the top end, you can carefully lift it up and collect the left-over syrup in the bottom part of the bag and pour it into your new bag before you lay it down.
Give a man a fish and he will have dinner.  Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner.

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 10:50:15 pm »
I made the type that holds two quart mason jars over the  hole in the inner cover. I didn't add screen over the holes, in hind sight I should have. Thats the only pit fall I get curious bees wandering around the inner cover top when I change jars.
I would look into plastic pails like brushy mountain sells as my next choice.
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 02:13:18 pm »
I have some deeps i cut down to mediums and now i have these scraps..... I was thinking about making hive top feeders.

Whats the best type ? Should i have the screen that keeps the bees in ? or should i just make a  opening for them to crawl out of ? Also how big should the gap be ?

I was thinking about making a miller type with floating slats. Just thought that would allow more bees to feed at once.

Also when using these feeders should i pop them loose once in a while ?

Any down sides to using them ? I Just cant find any one gallon jars. (trust me I've try'd)
I have pictures of some feeders I made out of boxes I cut like you are talking about. They work great they don't drown bees and you don't have to deal with bees when you fill the feeder. I put a piece of 3/8 plywood and a piece of thin metal on the bottom then use caulking to seal the joints. I use #8 wire on one end for the bees to get to the syrup. It is not my design. But they are easy to make and more simple to use then jars or baggies.
But I don't have a clue how to post pictures on this forum. If you will PM me you email address I will send the pictures by email to you.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 03:33:15 pm »
I have about 20 wood millers that I built using the plans on beesource.  They dont leak if they are built with tight fitting joints, siliconed and latex painted inside.  The plans on beesource call for wire over the bee feed area.  I like this feature because they can be check and filled without anything flying up in your face.  After using these for a few years and having a few bad drowning incidents where robber and colony bee's found a crack between my cover and the feed.   I fixed this by screening the entier top.  I just pour feed through the wire into the holding areas.  These hold alot of feed more then 2 gallons if both sides are filled.  Back to your original question about using scraps to build these I would say don't try it.  99% chance you would end up with leakers.  Leakers pour down through the hive and out the bottom soaking everything and is a recipe for robbing 

anything