Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Couldn't help myself - I wrote Michelle Obama  (Read 3450 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Couldn't help myself - I wrote Michelle Obama
« on: April 04, 2009, 08:23:19 am »
Hi All:

After seeing the photo of the Whitehouse Lawn Behive, I felt the need to go towww.whitehouse.gov and to the letters to the whitehouse section (now I know it is highly nlikely that anyone who really matters will ever see it) but I wanted to congratulate her/them on putting a hive on the property (No I don't want to debate the cost of said hive - or rehash past posts) but I humbly mentioned our Internation Forum dedicated to helping promote beekeeping and make beekeepers better beekeepers and so on.

They allow a very long letter, but I only used about half the characters allowed to be typed, but got all the points across I had on my mind - I just mentioned that she will see an incredible difference in the flowering plants and trees and the over all health of the garden they plan to plant.

All politics a side, a MOTHER wants to have a garden to teach her girls how to use the earth and grow veggies and flowers and that is pretty charming to me. I hope either side of our political spectrum here can't find something to bash about that.

So, they have heard from Beemaster and although I doubt I'll ever hear back, it would be cool if someday I checked the email or got at least a signed photo with "a thank you for the letter" written on it.

I'll follow up if there is anything that comes of this :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
Re: Couldn't help myself - I wrote Michelle Obama
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 10:38:47 am »
You never know.  The Obama's seem to like community organizers and you fit the bill. 
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 11:15:11 am »
I'd be stretching it if I said I didn't mention Beemaster Forums, the fact we have a hundred countries and thousands of years of combined beekeeping experience, all sharing their knowledge with guests and new beekeepers, expanding the honeybee hobby  far around the globe, also dispelling the negative information people often believe about the honeybees, etc.

I mentioned that I hope that we are an example of how an online community can make a difference and that we gladly would enjoy being made an example as people from all beliefs, across all the oceans and lands coming together to make a difference with this creature that is so important to human's thriving and surviving.

I wish I had copied the message, I gladly would have posted it here - I wasn't thinking since it was one of those embedded post pages at their site. But I think I did the forum justice and surely praised everyone from the slightly interested, to the commercial beekeeper and everyone in between.

It was fun to write, I hope that someone along the chain of command addresses it, I'm not expecting executive reply - but as you said, no one knows and all administrations are always looking for good examples of people who make a difference and I think we all qualify for our efforts in what is often a very difficult hobby/profession to thrive at - beekeeping, as we all know, isn't the easiest vocation and often has more frustration and heartbreak than prosperity.

Thanks for the thoughts :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 03:47:47 pm »
You definitely aren't shy are you beemaster!  Good for you and well done!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 11:47:08 pm »
John, wonderful...I know your skill at writing, expressing yourself, you are gifted.  I can only imagine how beautiful that letter to the First Lady would have been.  Yay!!!  You have more than likely touched another person's soul -- that is a magnificent thing.  Keep on doing the things that you do, you make it all right.  The gardens at the White House will indeed flourish.  Have a great and most wonderful and beautiful day, love our life, and live it so.  Health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 11:52:01 pm »
I know several people that have started their own veggie gardens, simply because the WH now has one.  I'm sure there will be at least a couple of people that start beekeeping as a result of their hives (they have two, right?)... surely that can't be a bad thing.

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 08:53:03 pm »
ALL of this makes me very happy. (I also look forward to how my plants and trees will do, with bees on my property.)

Do keep us posted, on your WH letters -- especially if they write back!!!
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle