Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I REMEMBER ALMOST NOTHING  (Read 6214 times)

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
I REMEMBER ALMOST NOTHING
« on: March 17, 2005, 11:59:30 pm »
HI ALL,
  just joined today
when I was 10 I had a teacher that was into bees, he didn't seem to like me much.........til I showed an interest in beekeeping.
  I somehow talked my mom into helping me get some equipment and got my self on a swarm list in my area..........now that I think of it she probebly thought that I wouldn't even get a call for a swarm let-a-lone
find a way to manage a hive.........! So one day the phone rang and mom
picked up the phone and it was for me, they had a swarm that was three blocks from me, I was SOOOO excited I said mom mom we gotta go theres a swarm a swarm lets go lets go, we have to go now...etc,
 so we went with all my new stuff in her car.....
when we got to the house we met the man out front he said there was a swarm that had landed on his dauters play house out back so we went down the side yard and to the back of the play house which was more like a 12'by 16' storage shed finished on the inside with no insulation what I saw was not a swarm but a well esteblished colleny that was getting ready to swarm. So I told him what it was.....etc,I said I could still move the bees for the bees them selves, mom said honey are sure you want to do this this....? I thought she was going to say no, but she said ok and said where are you going to put them.......? thats not in my the yard, I said on the roof , she looked at me kinda funny and said WELLLLL OOOK!
 Now, I know she was probebly thinkin what am I doing letting this happen, but my mom was pretty cool and was raised on a farm in north ohio, you know back when one had to walk ten miles to go to school.
 back to the story , we went and got a ladder and tools and I went to work on the wall while they watched , I smokem and pulled off the first peice of plywood and wow the whole 4' by 8' was full of comb, pulled off the next two peices they where both more then half full WOW I was really getting tired at this point but the job wasn't done I gathered as many bees as I could in a big box with a bunch of brood comb and closed the box , the man got stung 4 times in the face his head swelled up like a pumpkin and his wife called an ambulance ,I piled every thing on the top of moms car and we went home I got the stuff and the bees on the roof put them in the hive , they lasted two years before wax moth got them.
   then I wanted more a started lookin at extractors and tanks and more hives wow that was alot of money and mom was not so excited for me anymore and I had no clue what $1000 was when I was 10 years old
 now I'm 41 and have found my way back to bees and it just so happens I have 30 ac. 10 of which is meadow with a creek that runs through it and its all in the mountains and theres lots of farms around.
 but I remember almost nothing about it so I've been reading alot getting
all caught back up and had a few questions maybe you all might be able to help me with
1) how many hives can I put in a ten ac. bee yard? which I plan to over seed with wild flowers. PLUS 15 AC. OF MAPLE DO THEY FEED ON MAPLE BLOSSOM?
2) what are the biggest pests I should look for in my region?
3) -42deg F last winter was the record?
4) WHATS THE BEST QUEEN FOR MY AREA?
   and I will have many more questions I'm sure
wow this is gona be fun!!! :mrgreen:
                                TREBOR

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 06:22:16 am »
1) how many hives can I put in a ten ac. bee yard? which I plan to over seed with wild flowers. PLUS 15 AC. OF MAPLE DO THEY FEED ON MAPLE BLOSSOM?
2) what are the biggest pests I should look for in my region?
3) -42deg F last winter was the record?
4) WHATS THE BEST QUEEN FOR MY AREA?
and I will have many more questions I'm sure
wow this is gona be fun!!! Mr. Green

Welcome back to beekeeping!

On ten acres of wildflowers, you could keep.... a lot of hives. I've read that you never want more than about 30 in one place. Keep in mind that your bees will forage for up to 3 miles in any direction, so they'll have more than just your land, if they need it.

Everyone's biggest pest now is mites. In VT, you don't have to worry about small hive beetle, nor Africanized bees (unless you buy them from down south somehow). But mites are a big problem.  More about that later.

Bees can stand the cold. Pick a place for your hives that is out of the wind, and use tar paper or another black wrap on the hive to catch the sun. Make sure they have good ventiation.

The best queen is the one that's in a bee tree someplace that threw three swarms last summer and is right now snacking on maples (yes, they like mapes). The second best is... one that will give you gentle bees to get reacquainted with the hobby. That's my feeling, anyway. While you could try the mite resistant Russian strains, they can be hard to introduce, and as a beginner, you might want "easy" first, and everything else second.

Get yourself a subscription to Bee Culture and the American Bee Journal, find a local club, and start reading! There are tons of debates on the mite issue. I myself am trying to go the no-chemicals route, so my approach is different than that of a more traditional beekeeper.

Oh, and take everything I say with a grain of salt. I have a lot of reading under my belt, but only one practical season.

Oh--remember that every beekeeper does things differently, and you should always do things just like the person you're talking to. Until you talk to someone else. :)
Lesli

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 08:20:49 am »
Good answer Lesli. LOL

You will find varying styles, but you'll find what works for you. Mostly what you need is information specific for your area. That's why the bee club is a good idea.

Beth

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 09:34:46 am »
and you should always do things just like the person you're talking to

and how about if I talk to myself, what then?
 yes I answer myself too. :roll:

true insanity means never being along :wink:

do they like maple sap and or syrup too?
 is it bad for them ?
                                              Thanks!

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 09:48:26 am »
http://www.vtbeekeepers.org/vba_024.htm

Talk to yourself all you like, but go to that link it has info on beekeeping clubs in VT. Keep coming back here with any questions or just to amuse your self
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 09:52:09 am »
Quote from: Lesli
In VT, you don't have to worry about small hive beetle, nor Africanized bees (unless you buy them from down south somehow). But mites are a big problem.  

Not necessarily,  anyone that buys packages from the South (or hive beetle infected area) or nucs from dealers that migrate South are exposed to getting hive beetles.  There are reports of a well known NorthEast bee supplier who sells nucs having hive beetles.

Otherwise, nice write up Lesli. :wink:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 04:17:22 pm »
You can get SHB in VT.    

By the method that Robo said or if said NorthEast supplier has pollination services nearby your apiary.    

Our county bee inspector had made a few discoveries last year.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 05:56:11 pm »
I'm sure I have read somewhere that maple syrup is not good for them.  I don't know anyone that has fed it, but I'm sure someone from your neck of the woods could elaborate further

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 06:24:32 pm »
There are reports of a well known NorthEast bee supplier who sells nucs having hive beetles.

why do i get that sinkin feelin i did it again.........! :shock:
what state would those reports be coming from?
better yet if its really not here say, who is it?
  NEXT QUESTION!!!
5) theres a spot I'm thinkin bout that gets early morning sun but has a stand of big maples behind it, by 2pm in summer it would be in the shade
and cool off fast
   I read somewhere thats its best to have the entrance facing east so the morning sun hits it and gets them going early, and that this was better because the nectar content is highest in the morning and that dew plays a major roll in nectar production!
  but will I shut them down to early in the day by have them in the shade to early?
   I'll be ordering a book soon!......REALLY!
 HIVE BETTLE is there cure?
 OOOO I'm worried allready  eeeh

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 06:56:12 pm »
Not necessarily, anyone that buys packages from the South (or hive beetle infected area) or nucs from dealers that migrate South are exposed to getting hive beetles.

Thanks for the correction. I thought we didn't have to worry about it--climate difference. Well, what's one more pest, right?
Lesli

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 06:59:22 pm »
Shade in the afternoon is ok, although full day sun in your area probably wouldn't hurt. Afternoon shade won't slow them down. I think having a windbreak is most important. Makes it easier to work them, and easier on the bees in the winter.

I've read that full sun all day also keeps down mites, since they can't handle higher temps as well as the bees, but I don't think that needs to be your primary reason for a locating a good site.
Lesli

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 07:07:18 pm »
What you said about facing the hive east, early wake-up, and the nectar is all true. And giving them a place for shade early in the day during summer is a great idea! They get awful hot in the hive by early afternoon during the summer. Many people use screened bottoms for ventilation (and mite control), but the shade helps too.

Beth

Offline latebee

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 12:43:05 am »
I would definitly advise against feeding maple syrup to bees.Any carmalized sugar will make bees sick. I have known people to try it and  the bees did become ill. Maple syrup is very good for people though,like honey it is an all natural product. Welome aboard and have a ball!!
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 12:53:12 am »
I placed my control colony in full sun.  Actually, I put all 3 in full sun, and they seem to be holding their own against the mites. They looked miserable for a good part of the summer, but are still kicking.   2 I treated, but  the control colony is on their own.  I will say, that right now, they are the most puplulated colony and going great guns.  They are a little ornery compared to to the other 2, and I may have had a supercedure, but right now.. they are looking scary good.  The three banded italians I had, seem to be almost a solid black from mid abdomen to the sweet spot.  I'll keep monitoring and let you know.

Offline burny

• New Bee
welcome
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 08:08:03 am »
welcome trebor,we're located in central vt.
  our colony is doing good( needs vitamins/pollen though ). its finally warmed up so they have been out during the day.my advice is don't sell yourself short. beekeeping seems to be more common sense than anything else.i have a hard time slowing down long enough to book-learn everything; so just roll up the sleeves,use common sense, and learn as you go. i find bees to be quite capable and resilient...good for them. ive also been blessed by, and have learned much from, interacting on this forum. i recomend it.
    we will keep in touch.....
                              Burny & P.J.

Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005, 09:50:22 am »
I also have my hives in full sun all day on the advice of a 40 year beekeeper in this area. they are doing so very much better in the sun than they did in the shade and seem healthier too. Of course I use Screened bottom boards with the slats removed untill it gets in the 50F temp range. I also vent thru the upper vent in the intercover.

:D  Al

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2005, 10:33:38 am »
For those that missed it, TwT posted an article that shows the states that have SHB.
http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?p=7520#7520

(TwT, I hope you don't mind that I added the map to your post,  it makes it much more obvious how serious the SHB is becoming)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything