Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to find local packages/nucs?  (Read 2282 times)

Offline aengus1385

• New Bee
How to find local packages/nucs?
« on: February 19, 2010, 10:45:51 am »
Greetings all!

I am part of a small group of folks in the Butler PA area who are hoping to start into beeking this year. We are looking for a local source of package bees or nucs. We are looking for no more than 6. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave Hassinger
Regards,
Aengus

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Re: How to find local packages/nucs?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 11:16:12 am »
Greetings all!

I am part of a small group of folks in the Butler PA area who are hoping to start into beeking this year. We are looking for a local source of package bees or nucs. We are looking for no more than 6. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave Hassinger

Draper's Super Bee in Millerton, Pa & Brushy Mountain Bee has a new branch near Williamsport, Pa. Google is your Friend.  :-D

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 11:46:11 am »
I am sure that every local beekeeper from your area will be here tomorrow.  http://beaver.extension.psu.edu/Agriculture/WPABEE_10.pdf

Even if you haven't signed up, you can at the door.  You just won't be guaranteed lunch.

This is the list of vendors that will be there: 

Betterbee

Brushy Mountain

Blue Sky

Simpson Bee

Paul's Bees

Margaret Reid

Paul Bagnall

I also got this email response from Brushy Mountain's Rep.:

"Hi David,

I will be attending the bee seminar this Saturday.  We will have a complete booth set up for viewing.  I will be taking orders at the show.  All orders (except large truck orders) over $100 and are paid for at the show will receive free shipping.  Most orders will come out of the PA warehouse. 

I look forward to seeing you at the show!

Jim Wilson

PA Branch Manager

Brushy Mountain Bee Farm

Phone:  570-568-0870

Fax:  570-568-0872"

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:40:16 pm »
I don't know what you consider local, but Bjorn is about 200 mile from you.

http://www.bjornapiaries.com/index.html
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 01:59:38 pm »

I appreciate the plug iddee. But I'm booked up through the end of May. And I will not be taking more orders at this point. Those overwintered acclimatized nucs with non-chemically tainted queens actually raised in the north, go really fast.....  :-D

Looks like many beekeepers will be settling on packages again this year..... :roll: I've never seen so many people listed in the Pennsylvania state beekeepers newsletter as there are this year all selling southern packages. Easy money for them. Just wish more of them would get into breeding and queen rearing.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 02:43:36 pm »

I appreciate the plug iddee. But I'm booked up through the end of May. And I will not be taking more orders at this point. Those overwintered acclimatized nucs with non-chemically tainted queens actually raised in the north, go really fast.....  :-D

Looks like many beekeepers will be settling on packages again this year..... :roll: I've never seen so many people listed in the Pennsylvania state beekeepers newsletter as there are this year all selling southern packages. Easy money for them. Just wish more of them would get into breeding and queen rearing.

I would like to get into breeding and queen rearing, but don't want to go into it blindly.  I haven't been able to find anyone in my area to mentor me, so could you recommend a few good books on the subject?  My goal is to not only provide me with chemical free bees, but help other local beekeepers.  The nearest suppliers to us in SW PA are over three hours away in any direction.  While that is not an epic trek for most, some, like myself simply don't have the time available.  With my job and helping others with odd jobs, my time is at a premium.  I allow time to work with my bees as needed and will continue to do so as my little apiary of four grows as it is my source of mental health therapy...LOL.  My goal is to get into it more and more and hopefully retire early and make the bees my sole obsession, oops I mean, occupation....

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 07:15:11 pm »

I would like to get into breeding and queen rearing, but don't want to go into it blindly.  I haven't been able to find anyone in my area to mentor me, so could you recommend a few good books on the subject? 

Dr Larry Connors :Increase Essentials books Queen rearing essentials...
Great books, good system. Wicwas Press   
http://www.wicwas.com/
Life is good...Make it gooder!

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 09:10:47 am »

anything