Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newcomer from Melbourne, Australia  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Steampunked

• New Bee
Newcomer from Melbourne, Australia
« on: April 30, 2015, 12:16:18 am »
Hello folks.

I don't yet have any bees - that has to wait for early spring - but I'm going to be building a TBH hive or two over the winter and getting into it.  I currently live in the Dandenong Ranges in Melbourne.  My area is mostly wet sclerophyll forest, with a large amount of ferns, and mountain ash as well as numerous other types of trees due to local arboretums and other types of garden.

Our three person family lives in a (very) rundown house on about 1/3 of an acre, with chickens, possums in our roof (they walk up the stairs inside the house) a cat, and I and my partner both work full time in the city.  Bees are just one of the additions we're going to be making!
Kept by a tiny miniature suburban farm by chickens, parrots, a wallaby, a 3.5 year old and my partner.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Newcomer from Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 01:22:54 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline SB-Russ

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 03:14:29 am »
Howdy. Sounds like we'll be starting about the same time, although in quite different setups. Why the choic to go Topbar? More in tune with your environment? I haven't heard of many Aussies mention them yet.

Offline Steampunked

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 04:30:38 am »
Howdy. Sounds like we'll be starting about the same time, although in quite different setups. Why the choic to go Topbar? More in tune with your environment? I haven't heard of many Aussies mention them yet.

Top Bar seemed easier and cheaper to make in the garage, and a lot easier for a small person to lift :). It doesn't seem to be a huge thing here at all, though there are beginning to be a few folks working with them.  It isn't an environmental thing so much as a bad back issue, and it's easier on me as the required supplies I can mostly make myself.
Kept by a tiny miniature suburban farm by chickens, parrots, a wallaby, a 3.5 year old and my partner.

Offline SB-Russ

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 05:28:55 am »
Fair enough. I haven't really looked into it myself too much. Hope it works out well for you.

Offline Sumerduck

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 04:52:11 pm »
Welcome and enjoy.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 06:02:12 pm »
(Waves hello)  :grin:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 04:14:40 pm »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything