Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 3 Swarms, (One Massive!) New Beeyard, New Beek!-April 19, 2010  (Read 3801 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Right to it, been very, very busy! The massive swarm on the garbage can was a 911 call. Showed up and didn't expect to see something like this, it was quite freakish.

I was immediately informed there was more bees in the park (Clay Park) approx 65 yards from where we were standing, you could see them in a circle on the sidewalk from the spot where the garbage can was.

The bees on the sidewalk were acting odd, as if they were sprayed with honey robber or something.

Best I could piece together is that the caterpillar sprayer guy, sprayed the tree and possibly afterwards sometime, this gigantic swarm showed up on a limb overhead (is what the film crew parked right next to it told me)

They said the huge cluster fell to the sidewalk and the vast majority swarmed over onto the guy's garbage can, where I was called to.

I housed both, the ones on the sidewalk and the ones on the garbage can, seperately.

I saw a queen in the smaller cluster, but come to find out the huge cluster was queenless, so my buddy Bailey & I combined them with a swarm of about one and 3/4 lbs of bees into two deeps and a medium.

The smaller cluster with the queen is in quarentine in my backyard and appear to be doing alright.

Sorry this is so long of a post but I must go on. My wife had to bring me another deep so I could house all the bees from the garbage can and in the process of getting one, one single bee wound up in her hair and she was stung.

Longer story short, we wound up in the emergency room and now she carries an epi pen.

I will go on about the other stuff, the other swarms, new beeyard and new beekeeper later.

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970/April192010#

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: 3 Swarms, (One Massive!) New Beeyard, New Beek!-April 19, 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 05:32:24 pm »
I hope everything turns out okay.  Thanks for posting the pics.  Very cool.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 05:45:56 pm »
You get some of the coolest pics. Hope your wife is doing ok.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 08:29:36 pm »
Hope the wife is OK!!

That is a huge swarm on the trash can.

Sounds like you have had you hands full again.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 12:40:14 am »
My wife is doing fine, thanks y'all.

The young lady pictured is a new beekeeper. I set her up with some bees I'm very proud of but as you can see by her happy grin, she's even prouder!

The swarm on the grapefruit tree is now in my Dad's backyard. Get this, the customer called someone before he got me, and that guy quoted him $250.00 to collect the swarm. He did come down to two hundred bucks and then challenged my customer to call around, insinuating that was a good price for a swarm catch!

Just so you know he gave me forty bucks and seven fishing lures.  ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 01:30:57 am »
I've only just got the nerve to work them a little bit bare handed without a veil. Good for her.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 10:37:09 pm »
Man,U really got alotta activities going on in ur side a town huh JP,Glad to here wife's ok
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 10:30:24 am »
Have to brag a little. The young lady I set up pictured above, if you open the link, called me two days ago. I started her up with 4 frames of drawn comb/bees and of course a queen. I did shake some extra bees into her deep for her.

Its been a little over 7 weeks and the bees drew out the first deep, a second deep and a medium. She is extracting this weekend as she has a ton of honey.

Says the bees are very gentle and she has given them many opportunities to sting her but they passed.

I cannot be prouder!

Guess its all down hill from here!  :-D

...JP

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 11:41:53 am »
Sounds like you did her a good job on getting started JP  :cheer:

G3

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 01:20:57 pm »
That sounds so wonderful JP. It feels really good to make people happy as you sure know. I am very happy for that women starting out in such a positive way with the bees.

Since helping 2 people set up beehives this season, I know that feeling when they call that things are going well.

A pat on the back for you JP (actually many pats on the back) X:X X:X

Offline dennis2021

• House Bee
    • Orlando Bee Removal Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 04:44:54 pm »
Round of applause!!! Beek's are such cool folks.
Have a sweet day,
Dennis the Bee Guy