Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: super hive  (Read 1978 times)

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
super hive
« on: March 11, 2008, 07:33:54 pm »
I had a quick question.  Would it be possible to build a super hive?  By which I mean say you had 4 or 5 hives and you stole a frame or two from each to strengthen another hive throughout the spring.  Would said hive produce exceptional honey yields, given good forage of course, or would it be nothing but a super swarm producer?  Everyone keeps saying that 1 really strong hive will produce significantly more honey than 2 weak hives.  This would seem like an excellent way to do that and in late summer or fall could be split 2 or 3 ways.  It shouldn't be all that detrimental to the dolor hives either since you would spread out the load.

Just brain storming.  What does everyone thing?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: super hive
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 09:28:42 pm »
Yes you can build a super hive.

"As was our custom, I had built up several colonies to great strength by adding frames of brood and bees from other colonies. One colony of great strength swarmed just as the picnickers arrived. Our State Inspector, Yost, weighed the swarm and reported it weighed exactly 25 pounds. It looked as though as many more bees remained in the hive so they estimated that colony must contain at least two hundred and fifty thousand bees - many more of course, than could be the product of one queen."--Better Queens, Jay Smith

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesbetterqueens.htm#The%20Desire%20for%20Better%20Cells%20Intensified

And you can see both how it is done and what the result often is by the above quote...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 12:26:12 am »
the cutout i did sunday was 2 feet wide, 12 to 13 feet tall and 3 combs deep.
i would call that a superhive for these parts.

they filled one deep and a medium on the spot and were bearding the first day at home.
i will add a second medium tomorrow if the swarm calls slow down.

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 12:37:48 am »

"As was our custom, I had built up several colonies to great strength by adding frames of brood and bees from other colonies. One colony of great strength swarmed just as the picnickers arrived. Our State Inspector, Yost, weighed the swarm and reported it weighed exactly 25 pounds. It looked as though as many more bees remained in the hive so they estimated that colony must contain at least two hundred and fifty thousand bees - many more of course, than could be the product of one queen."--Better Queens, Jay Smith

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesbetterqueens.htm#The%20Desire%20for%20Better%20Cells%20Intensified

And you can see both how it is done and what the result often is by the above quote...

25 pounds!!!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 01:07:40 am »

Must have been as big as a wine barrel.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 01:14:08 am »
nice. From that it looks like it could be a superb way to make splits if you're looking for some really fantastic queens.  build them up like crazy. Wait until there are swarm cells then split up the colony with a swarm cell in each nuc or hive body....

anything