Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: kids' craft ideas for a beekeeper presentation?  (Read 3389 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
kids' craft ideas for a beekeeper presentation?
« on: November 14, 2007, 07:05:26 pm »
If any of you have ideas for a kids craft (6-14 yrs old?) I would appreciate any suggestions.  Rolled candles are the choice now but I am trying to come up with something a bit less expensive and maybe a bit more "fun".
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Re: kids' craft ideas for a beekeeper presentation?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 07:15:54 pm »
depends on resources and all, but a great thing to do it....make some honey dough a day prior to presentation (the dough has to sit AT LEAST for a day, if not for a week..bwah, i'm not sure)
anyway...they could do honey dough hearts, stars, maybe even bees and maybe even ornament them
of course all this if you have an oven to your disposal.

i can't think of anything else...

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 09:11:39 pm »
dipping candles, rather than rolling them?
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 09:20:56 pm »
Grab yellow, black, and white pipe cleaners from the fabric/hobby store. You can have them make bees.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 09:16:58 am »
Uh...I'd rethink anything that involves 8 yr olds and potentially fire or anything hot .

It depends how much time you have, but I'm with Brendhan and Mici on this one.  It doesn't necessarily have to do directly with bees, and the more simple it is, the better.

With a big age range, you have a challenge, since the 14 y-os could care less about what the 6 y-olds are doing.

Depends how much time you have.  If you have to fill more than 2 hours, then you have a handfull.  If it is less than an hour, make it a little presentation about bees.

I do like the pipe cleaner idea, and the dough/modelling clay idea is good too.  Something as simple as coloring a bee, cutting it out, and pasting it on anther paper (teachers know more about this stuff)  You can always take samples for them to try, and make some honey-based snacks. 

Rick
Rick

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 11:23:20 am »
City of Bees is a kids video which just came out on DVD and costs less than $25. It comes highly recomended by others. Also, my 5y.o. nephew just loves honey! so bring some differant colored honeys and any honey you may have from abroad. People now bring honey back from all over the world for me(as if I dont have enough of my own). I have kiawe from hawaii(amazing-like cake icing!); island honey from Bikini, mexican yucatan, very thin and minty, almost medicinal; germany, dark like buckwheat; variatal sources from around lower 48. I let him choose two types when he comes over and he has it w/ bananas and apples.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 12:41:27 pm »
make chocolate covered bee snacks

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 05:37:39 pm »
Thanks to you all.  Fun ideas.  Today is decision day so it looks like we are sticking with rolled candles. (I am not the sole decision maker :).  Your ideas sound good, too, and I will keep them in mind for future use.  I am a rookie presenter so I will enjoy looking back to previous posts on what to bring along for the kids to see.  I look forward to presenting honey and bees in a positive light.  It is an honor to do so.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 10:25:21 am »
Oh Konasdad.  You are a lucky man to have so many people bring you honies to try out.  Yeah!!!  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service