Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long do you think it takes to cap 2:1 syrup?  (Read 1830 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
How long do you think it takes to cap 2:1 syrup?
« on: October 06, 2007, 11:31:42 pm »
Just wondering how long you all think it takes the bees to cap a 2:1 sugar syrup mix.  I know we have many variables but a rough idea would help me know how much time I have to pack stores into a weak hive.  Thank you for your thoughts.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: How long do you think it takes to cap 2:1 syrup?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 12:33:29 am »
>know we have many variables but a rough idea would help me know how much time I have to pack stores into a weak hive.

There are too many variables.  How strong the hive is, how high the humidity is, how warm the weather is, how focused the bees are on capping it..
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 02:01:18 am »
I'am feeding some 2:1 right now and I've noticed that the bees seem less inclined to make wax (capping, comb, etc) in the fall compared to the spring. They do store it in abundance but, like last year, I anticipate seeing a lot of uncapped stored nectar as the fall progresses.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 07:30:17 pm »
>>I'am feeding some 2:1 right now and I've noticed that the bees seem less inclined to make wax (capping, comb, etc) in the fall compared to the spring.

You can get bees to build comb in the fall, but it takes something less than the 2:1 syrup to do it.  I start mine off with 15 lbs of sugar mixed with 6 quarts (12 lbs) of water and sems to work fine--it is thicker than 1:1 but less than 2:1.  Once they are building comb you can then switch back to the usual 2:1.

Actually I find the 5:4 mix better at promoting comb building in captured swarms or packages too.  I only use the 1:1 when I want to simulate a flow early in the season for spring buildup.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything