Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: That thing....Tool Tips  (Read 4065 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
That thing....Tool Tips
« on: March 04, 2008, 10:47:34 pm »
What do you call that thing that pops up when you place the mouse arrow over something.

Example;

You are in windows media player and you place the arrow over the title of a song. This little window pops up and tells you all kinds of stuff about that song. What do you call that.... and.... is there a way to stop the thing from popping up?

I am trying to do some organizing of my music library. I'm shuffling stuff around between several windows trying to get everything into different albums and into files to transfer to another computer so I can create disk to take with me in the vehicles. And this window keeps popping up into my view and bugging the heck out of me. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 01:50:00 pm by Jerrymac »
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: That thing....
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:05:21 am »
They're called tool tips.  I think they're program specific, meaning something in the program will control whether or not they show.  Look in the tools/options of WMP to see if you can turn them off.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: That thing....
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 01:04:48 pm »
Thanks reinbeau,

I looked around in there and didn't see anything. When my computer guru son-in-law shows up I'll let him know the name of "it". We didn't know what to call it.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: That thing....Tool Tips
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 01:51:17 pm »
So we have found a whole mess of instructions on the net of how to turn these things off.

Nothing is working.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 11:28:21 pm »
Jerry, I think I know how to correct this, I remember seeing it somewhere and I was looking around.  This may help

Go to control panel
Go to folder options
Go to view
Uncheck this:
"Show pop up description for folder and desktop icons"

This may help, I have unchecked mine and I am going to try some stuff, hold on.......

OK yes, it worked.  I have a myriad of stuff on my desktop and when I put the mouse over the icon, the description of what it is is displayed.  With this option above turned off, there is no information about the icon that shows up.

Let me know if this is what you mean and if it has helped.  Best of this wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 05:28:35 am »
Thanks Cindi,

I tried it and while it does turn it off on the desk top, those silly things still pop up in the media player. I don't mind them much every where else it is just in the media player as I use the arrow sort of like a finger as I am going through the list of songs and this thing keeps popping up covering up some of the stuff I am trying to read.

If you go to google and type in "Turn off tool tips windows media player" you find all sorts of things they say to do. I even found a few people wanting it turned off for the exact same reason I do. But haven't found anything that works yet.

You would think there would be a simply button to click this thing on and off.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:43:04 am »
OK, Jerry, I think that you need to et to the bottom of this.  Do you ever use "windows live?"  It is an online support group and you can post questions and some computer geek somewhere will help you out.  Beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service