Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mites?  (Read 15837 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Mites?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 07:56:51 am »

You can vertical devide a rame in three parts and use for swarm control. 1/3 normal foundation, 1/3 nothing and 1/3 dronewax. As long the bees build normal brrodax in the empthy 1/3 the bees will not swarm. When they sart to build Drone wax in this they will likely  prepare to swarm. the 1/3 with dronewax you just  cut out leaving a strip  a guide.

This swam control is very useful advice and tips.  but you say 1/3 normal foundation, 1/3 nothing and 1/3 drone wax.  How on earth does one get the 1/3 dronewax?  I don't understand, please clarify.  Great day. Thanks. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 08:26:40 am »
This swam control is very useful advice and tips.  but you say 1/3 normal foundation, 1/3 nothing and 1/3 drone wax.  How on earth does one get the 1/3 dronewax?  I don't understand, please clarify.  Great day. Thanks. Cindi

we buy it as a Drone wax foundation and take a strip as Michael explained and then put in the 1/3 part for this purpose. If you can't buy it cut out a normale build Drone part of a frame (Dronebrood is normal found  close the wall in the second frame) put it into the freezer to kill the drone brood and mites, then fix a 1 inch stripe of this into this 1/3 dronepart. The bees will clean the killed brood ut and repair and build the Drone brood cells out from the strip placed as guide strip. When you cut out the normal brood, shift among the first third and the second third.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2006, 08:35:52 am »
For speed, what would the shortest time be that the drone frame would need to be frozen.  I would imagine a pretty short time?

Jorn, why would the drone brood be on the second frame usually?  Why not the first frame?
I know the bees "have their ways", but sometimes I don't get it.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2006, 09:06:20 am »
drones develope in a slightly lower temperature than other bees, that's  also the reason varoe likes drone cells more.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2006, 09:19:00 am »
drones develope in a slightly lower temperature than other bees, that's  also the reason varoe likes drone cells more.
Mici, aha, now that makes sense why they would be on the outside combs.  Did not actually realize that, do you know if the bees actually have to cover the drone somewhat to keep them at all warm, or is the internal temperature of the hive simply enough?
The worker cells must be covered with bees to keep the worker brood the warm temperature, right? Cindi

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2006, 09:36:45 am »
For speed, what would the shortest time be that the drone frame would need to be frozen.  I would imagine a pretty short time?

Jorn, why would the drone brood be on the second frame usually?  Why not the first frame?
I know the bees "have their ways", but sometimes I don't get it.  Great day. Cindi

I would practical say one day. But if you put it into quick-freeze a couple of hours.

Reason for the second and not the first: drone need a little warm to developed but not that much as normal brood, so the drone brood is normally placed in the periphery of the brood area.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2006, 12:21:46 pm »
You can buy plastic drone foundation, plastic drone frames (Pierco) and wax drone foundation (from Brushy Mt. and Dadant).  You can also just put empty frames in a hive that has only worker foundation and they will usually draw it as drone from early spring until late summer.  Or just put a shallow or medium frame in a deep box (if you use deep boxes).  The will usually draw some drone on the bottom.  The reason is that using only worker foundation leaves the bees wanting desperately to build some drone comb.  If you use the medium frame in a deep box, you can just cut the drones off the bottom of the frame and put it back.  If you use the empty frames or drone foundation, you can freeze or you can just pull them all out with an uncapping fork and feed the larvae to the chickens.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2006, 12:32:42 pm »
Michael, I use deeps, for all bee matters.  I think that using the shallow frames would be a good idea, I will implement that this season, I'm on the varroa destruction.  Great day. Cindi

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2006, 04:28:16 pm »
According to Dr. Marla Spivak you can freeze brood with dry ice and they sometimes still survive if you don't do it for long enough.  I wouldn't go less than 24 hours.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2006, 04:41:35 pm »
According to Dr. Marla Spivak you can freeze brood with dry ice and they sometimes still survive if you don't do it for long enough.  I wouldn't go less than 24 hours.

but if you DON'T want them to die, a temperature difference as small as one degree celzius will be fatal.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2006, 05:15:15 pm »

I put medium foundation into Langstroth frame. Bees draw drone cells in the free area. When drone brood are capped, I cut them off and dig into earth. Bees make at once new drone combs into gap. Freezing is really laborous.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2006, 10:42:51 pm »
Wow, only one degree could cause death, guess that makes sense.  Good day. Cindi

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2006, 12:57:48 am »
Gaps where bees may draw drone cells are good. Without arranged places they make drone cells everywhere because they need them.

I use 2-3 gaps in Langstroth frames so they have different age drone brood.  The cycle is 4 weeks and mites go into larvae just before capping.

But however without mites some areas where bees may draw dronecells are good.

But to use whole foundation at one time for drones is wasting. When you give this kind of frames after one week interval bees have all the time old larvae to catch mites.

In pic I have put medium foundation in Langstroth frame
I just cut the drone comb away and often give to birds or dig into ground.
Chalk brood have destroyed part of drones.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2006, 10:24:04 am »
Finsky, interesting picture and comments.  Now has not the queen laid worker eggs in the cells above the drones yet?  An old timer beekeeper I was to see last spring does something similar, but he just uses the medium frame alone and puts it in the 3rd position he said.  He said that the bees will draw the drone size comb below the bottom of the medium to fill up the space (using deeps).  This is the same idea as you do it looks like?  Do you use only deeps Finsky?  Great day.  Cindi

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2006, 10:33:10 am »

I use deeps and mediums. But mite catcher should  be inside brood area. Bees are eager to build drone combs. No need to buy foundations.

Queen is often in a hurry to lay drone eggs and fill the purpose of life.

Freezing is too labourous to handle combs. No idea.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2006, 10:52:10 am »
But mite catcher should  be inside brood area. Bees are eager to build drone combs. No need to buy foundations.

Why inside brood nest.  When removing the drone frame for killing, would that not disrupt the brood nest area and cause disruption in area?  I would think it would be easier to have the drone comb nearer the outside so one could just go in quickly and take out without disturbing brood area.  Great day. Cindi

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2006, 11:10:08 am »

Why inside brood nest.  When removing the drone frame for killing, would that not disrupt the brood nest area and cause disruption in area?  I would think it would be easier to have the drone comb nearer the outside so one could just go in quickly and take out without disturbing brood area.  Great day. Cindi

Drone larvae attract mites from worker cells. You lift the frame, cut comb along the wire and put it back. It causes no dispruption. Towards autumn bees fill the gap with worker cells.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2006, 11:12:20 am »
Finsky, that is awesome thought.  Great day. Cindi

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2006, 11:33:54 pm »
Wouldn't be easier to have small cell bees and mite resistant bees
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2007, 02:27:44 am »
Probably, but that is alot of work to get the bees regressed from what I understand.  Cindi

anything