Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: question about Aussie Real Estate Prices  (Read 18932 times)

Offline c10250

• House Bee
question about Aussie Real Estate Prices
« on: February 02, 2010, 11:26:54 am »
Why in the heck are homes so much in Australia??  I was looking at some home prices and couldn't believe it!!!  Any city I chose was like San Francisco prices.  Heck, a tiny home in Perth went for over a million US dollars.  Crazy.

How do you guys afford it?  Honey must be selling for a LOT of money in order to pay those prices.

Ken

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
Re: question about Aussie Real Estate Prices
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:33:20 pm »
Come on down, this is the home of the brave , the free and lots of honey. It depends where you want to live around Australia as to how much you want to pay. They are still in the process of getting mains electricity and running water hooked up to homes in Queensland though. The rest of the nation is pretty much connected to those type of services already. :evil:

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 03:19:56 am »
House prices are INSANE here.

Its mainly supply and demand. We are importing people at ten times the new house build rate. Our Government has relaxed foreign ownership regulations. Now the Chinese are buying everything in sight for their kids to live in when studying here.

Every minute of every day, the newspaper, TV, radio are full of stories of how you better buy now. It creates a frenzy. People are borrowing 400,000 to buy a house that cost 200,000 a year ago. The media quotes median prices, people think this is the average price. People dont realise that borrowing 400k costs a million over a 25 year loan.

The rise in sales has led to a shortage of rental properties, that drives the price up even further. People are going to get hit hard in 10 years when we go through what you have.

In Perth and Queensland, huge mining industry salaries, up to 200k a year for tradesmen, has got out of control. These areas were the lowest for house prices before the mining boom. Now they are the most expensive. People who have lived in a town all their lives are now forced out to caravan parks as the miners move in. Also these miners etc have so much money they buy a few houses and create an even bigger shortage.

Its all gone crazy the last 5 years. Take me a year to explain it properly.

Boom and bust, its going to get ugly when the bust comes.

A generation ago, people bought a modest house, had ONE car if a car at all, used second hand furniture etc. Now people want what they see on TV and wont pay back what they owe in their lifetime. Its all artificially inflated.

The Government introduced a first home buyers grant that got up to about 20 grand. This just put 20 grand on the price of a new home.

As I have said before, we have become a nation of idiots.

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:23:01 am »
Why in the heck are homes so much in Australia??  I was looking at some home prices and couldn't believe it!!!  Any city I chose was like San Francisco prices.  Heck, a tiny home in Perth went for over a million US dollars.  Crazy.

How do you guys afford it?  Honey must be selling for a LOT of money in order to pay those prices.

Ken

Those home are actually sold here for a few hundreds dollars, but we re programmed the internet to show them 100000 times the value to deter people from wanting to move here - we love the space! :-D

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:50:20 am »
Greed.  Some people want to buy more than one house.  It baffles me because you can only be in one place at the one time.

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 10:24:03 am »

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:22:47 pm »

YOU GUYS ARE NUTS!!!

OI!  :)

You have 320m people and we have 20m, we have gun laws and you seem to have none, you are bankrupt and we are not, you have cheaper real estate and we do not, you still execute people and we do not, you have varoa and we do not...its awesome here and awesome aint free!  :-D

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:37:44 pm »
hmmmm

think i'll keep my guns and executions  :-D

the debt i could do without.....it'll take a couple more elections before we can begin to fix that mess.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 10:32:38 pm »
It has been removed. I guess the word facetious is beyond the vocabulary of some.

"Facetious - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster ...
2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious <a facetious remark> "
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:26:56 pm by iddee »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 08:55:18 am »
This post was not meant to start a pissing contest between AU and the US.  I was just trying to figure out why real estate is so high in AU.  None the less, I'll keep my low prices, executions, and guns though.  Oh, and by the way, with real estate prices that high, someone's going to pay the piper some day and it's gonna hurt!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 09:28:19 am »
When it comes to high home prices, we've seen what the piper charges.  Just ask anybody that bought a house on the west coast of CA in the last few years.  Looks about like what's happening in Perth.

If I lived there I'd be renting...
Rick

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 02:26:26 pm »
This post was not meant to start a pissing contest between AU and the US.

EXACTLY... When did this become "My Country is better than yours" post - please knock it off. Thank you all.

All countries should have pride in their homeland, and POPULATION has no place in figuring a country's worth or status. Be proud about your country without sticking out your tongues and spitting "Nanny nanny foo foo" in the other members faces.

Geoff, reading your post - the only think I thought was: welcome to Capitalism in 2010 you have all the problems we go through, minus that we call surcharging of anything a TAX, not a GRANT - a grant shouldn't be a "burden of the backs of the public" surely the conservative of the forum QUAKE at calling them a grant, no matter how cleverly worded, I think even the lefty's here would throw-up in their mouths a little.

Any way, we all have great countries, count your blessings and thank your God for that and carry on - TY.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 04:14:17 pm »
i didn't think we were having a pissing contest.  thought we were having a little fun.  perhaps some are more sensitive than i..........
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 12:22:26 am »
awwww...i thought the emoticons indicated emotion and the smilies indicated we were joking?

I agree with kathyp (well i have to, she has guns!)  8-)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 01:55:01 am »
what's a poms? 

got the email before the revision  :evil:

you can PM me the answer if you want to stay out of trouble

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 02:02:49 am »
Pom is like Australians=Aussie, Americans=Yanks, British=Poms

Its an affectionate term... :)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 09:34:17 am »
 ;)

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 06:55:18 pm »
Pom is like Australians=Aussie, Americans=Yanks, British=Poms

Its an affectionate term... :)

affectionate? hmmm! just the same as having cork on your hat!  :lol:
Re: property prices, try shoving 60m people into a country the size of NY state and you end up with (admittedly up market) houses costing $50million. This is not a pissing contest, just a sad reflection of where the world is going! There is a child dying every minute in Africa for lack of medicine. Off thread, I'm sorry.
cider :( 
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 07:50:30 pm »
          OK  We will get fair dinkum with a question CA10250. In relation to the the house in the thread to whom does the Tax Amount: of $11,971.40 go to.
         Unless you were in the position to pay cash for the deal one would be busy peeing into the wind to pay approximately $210.00 tax on the house per week plus capital and interest payments.
          One would expect to get free gas, water, electricity, telephone and council services for a tax of that amount. Maybe I have the wrong skew on that figure , however this is not a criticism but a question.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 08:28:13 pm »
This post was not meant to start a pissing contest between AU and the US.

EXACTLY... When did this become "My Country is better than yours" post - please knock it off. Thank you all.

Any way, we all have great countries, count your blessings and thank your God for that and carry on - TY.

Now that's irony. :)
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?