Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Denver, Colorado  (Read 1381 times)

Offline shinbone

• New Bee
Hello from Denver, Colorado
« on: July 05, 2011, 06:42:43 pm »
Hi All,

I kept bees as a hobby when I was in high school in southern California 30-odd years ago.  I had no money and did everything myself from scratch.  I worked up to a total of 12 hives by catching wild swarms, and I made the brood chambers, bottoms, lids, and supers myself.  I also made my own bee suit and related accessories.  I kept my hives in a friend's orange orchard.  We had torrential rains one year which washed away everything.  All that hard work gone.  I was so discouraged that I never rebuilt. 

Then I got busy with college and a career, etc., and never had time nor the space to keep bees.  Now, life has settled down and the career has stabilized so that I have the time and space to start keeping bees again. 

I will be getting my new bees in the Spring of 2012.  In the mean time, I am reading books and forums, and will be ordering the necessary supplies in preparation for Spring 2012.

--shinbone
Zone 5B, elevation 5400 ft.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: Hello from Denver, Colorado
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 08:40:02 pm »
Hello Denver! Welcome to the forum. After this posting, we may not be able to tell where you are from unless you change your profile location.

My first year I tried to make my own boxes, the bees got together and bought me a carpentry for dummies book.  :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:
They really do know what they need.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:42:24 pm »
Welcome to the forum.   There has been quite a change in the 30 years with the bees but there is also a lot of learning here on the forum going on.

Offline apislover

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 10:43:31 pm »
Looking forward to learning alongside you as I prepare for Spring of 2012 :)

anything