Welcome, Guest

Poll

Queens:  Marked, Clipped, or Neither?

Marked - I want to know for sure
Clipped - She's going to stay put
Marked & Clipped - She's going nowhere and I want to be able to hunt her down to make sure
Neither - A queens a queen, as long as there is brood I'm happy
Some combination of Marked, Clipped, Unmarked & Unclipped

Author Topic: Queens: Marked, Clipped or Neither?  (Read 7671 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Queens: Marked, Clipped or Neither?
« on: June 04, 2004, 11:11:21 am »
Everyone knows my propensity towards marking queens. Just curious to what folks are doing.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 01:13:20 pm »
Well, I ordered my queens marked, but they didn't come that way. The first time I just took as a simple mistake. The second time I got irritated. Next time I'll throw a big fit BEFORE getting the queens to make sure they know I'm serious.

Beth

Offline Lechwe

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 09:37:05 pm »
Mine are not marked. I kind of would like to have them marked since it would make it much easier to find her.

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 03:18:17 pm »
it's little effort to take a bottle of white out with you next time you go in the hive.  the queen can be marked while she is still on the brood frame with just a dab on her thorax.  watch for a bit to see the workers aren't upset and return the frame.  you can do the same as the wing clipping if you like.  one side for even years the other for odd.  it'll do good enough to let you know what you need to.

Offline TJ

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 04:00:50 pm »
I ordered 2 marked and clipped Queens this spring. One has already been replaced. I don't know why, everything seemed to be OK. I also have a swarm I captured and I haven't seen any Queen sign after 2 weeks. Time to check again. I won't bother in the future with marking because ultimately it is eggs I will be looking for, and I can find those if they are present.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 06:34:37 pm »
Robo:

I added an additional option so I could participate - I have clipped and unclipped - but NONE are marked.

The Swarm that Found Me - I'm leaving her be, if she couldn't fly, I would NOT have that colony.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline celtic

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 06:54:34 pm »
I like marked queens because they tell me the hive has not been supercedded by an unkown ie(Africnized).

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 04:59:15 pm »
I'd prefer marked queens, but since I got my nucs late in the season, I didn't have a choice in the matter. So for now, unmarked, but my preference would be marked, for easy visibility.

I'm happy to say that I have spotted both queens, though, in spite of this!
Lesli

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 05:03:35 pm »
Lesli,

Go to the craft store and buy yourself a Testors paint marker.  Next time you spot them,  give them a dap with the marker on their thorax.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2004, 05:26:37 pm »
Yep. If the next queen I get for hive one isn't marked when she's delivered, she will be soon. Besides making them easy to spot, it's a surefire way of know whether there was supercedure.
Lesli

anything