Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Pennsylvania  (Read 4278 times)

Offline Portia

• New Bee
Hello from Pennsylvania
« on: December 13, 2009, 08:05:31 pm »
I just began my research into beekeeping.  I'd like to get started this coming spring.  Last year we added free range chickens to our new 'homestead' so honey bees are next.  My excitement grows as I continue to research & read.  I think this forum will be a welcome addition to my growing knowledge.  I look forward to learning from everyone.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Hello from Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 08:29:14 pm »
Welcome from another Quaker stater. You have found a good place to read a lot and ask any questions you may have. If your planning on bees for 2010 you should order the bees from a supplier soon If you need equipment,dadant and Brushy mountain have free shipping in Dec.more info here:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,25790.0.html
There is a Pecks bee supply just east of Harrisburg. Not real big,just works out of aa small garage,but his prices are good and it's not too far too pick up .
Enjoy your time here!!

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 08:46:56 pm »
Welcome from the southwestern corner of PA!  Enjoy your time here.  You will learn plenty, and some of it may even be about bees.... :-D

Offline Portia

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 09:48:14 pm »
I was just reading that ordering should commence sooner rather than later...guess I know what I want for xmas. Thanks, buzzbee for the info on some local suppliers. 

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 08:26:45 am »
Hello and Welcome!

I believe you'll find this forum to be a good resource to learn more about bees & beekeeping. Be sure to check out the tutorials on the main Beemaster page (Backyard Beekeeping Course).

I also recommend getting involved with a local beekeeping club:
http://www.pastatebeekeepers.org/Reports/Map/2007%20Contacts%20and%20Inspectors.html
Clubs are great places to find mentors and get connected with local beekeepers. Plus, clubs often offer beginning beekeeping classes and other helpful assistence for new beekeepers.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:28:41 am »
Hello and Welcome  Portia
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny

Offline Delmer

• House Bee
  • Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:46:30 am »
Welcome!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 12:17:54 am »
Portia, welcome to our forum. So great you found us and you are now delving into the secret life of the honeybee.  You will be soon held beneath their spell, as you go deeper and deeper into your studying of this incredibly wonderful world.  Learn lots, the more you learn, the more you will be compelled to learn, it is an addictive thing, this you will find out.  Stick around, we love new members.  have that most wonderful day, to enjoy with greatest of health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 03:30:32 am »
Welcome Portia,
I am located in Lancaster county and have a few hives close to the Lebanon county line.  There are several beekeeping organizations in the area depending on where in Lebanon county you are located.  I am with the Lancaster County Honey Producers.  There is also the Capital Area Beekeepers and another in the Bethel area.  It is a great hobby and would be an excellent addition to your homestead.
Jim

Offline Portia

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 04:19:48 pm »
Jim, I'm just north of the Lancaster Co line, a bit SW of Mt. Gretna. I have the contacts for some groups in this county, and am working on a source for acquiring my new bee borders for the spring.   

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 11:16:11 pm »
Sounds like you are getting all your ducks (or bees) lined up.  2 of my hives are in the Mastersonville area, just a few miles south of Mt Gretna.  There is a member of out group that produces nucs by mid May and he is in Sportinghill (maybe 15 minutes from Gretna).  If you need any info give me a shout.
Jim