Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frame questions  (Read 2537 times)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Frame questions
« on: August 31, 2008, 07:57:34 am »
Hey there everyone, I have a few questions about frames...

First question, why is there no slot down the side of the frames to keep the foundation stable?

Second question, why are the sides of the frame narrowed by 1/8th inch at the bottom?

Third question, why are the bottom ends of the top bar tapered upward by 1/16th inch?

Offline rast

• Field Bee
Re: Frame questions
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 09:06:54 am »
 Morning, my answers, not gospel.
 1- All foundation is not created equal, enough of a width difference sometimes to create a problem, all frames are not square. Extra machining step. Would be a pain to assemble on a hot day.
 2- Frames are wider at the top so that when pushed together they provide correct bee space between top bars and comb. Provides a walkaround area on the lower half of the frames so they don't have to go up and over or down and up to get to the other side of the frame.
 3- Easier to get loose with your hive tool when the bees have glued them down.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline broke-t

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 10:02:11 am »
Kelly has a new frame that does have slot down side bars.

http://go.netgrab.com/secure/kelleystore/asp/product.asp?product=266

I am thinking about using them in all my medium supers.  Just assemble, drop in wired foundation, and your ready to go. No extra wireing or pins to put in.

Johnny

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 09:27:15 pm »
  Kelly has a new frame that does have slot down side bars.
Yep, I had forgotten I read about those. I make all my woodwork myself so I don't shop frames too much.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 10:14:37 am »
>First question, why is there no slot down the side of the frames to keep the foundation stable?

To save wood and cuts.

>Second question, why are the sides of the frame narrowed by 1/8th inch at the bottom?

For better communication between frames.  They can go around the ends and not just the top and bottom.  In nature they can't go over the top, just around the ends and the bottom.

>Third question, why are the bottom ends of the top bar tapered upward by 1/16th inch?

So you can get a tool under them if they are glued down too much.

Most of these things are not necessary, they are just luxuries.  When I make frames, I never taper the ends of the top bars.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything