Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB Numbers  (Read 5541 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
SHB Numbers
« on: July 12, 2009, 12:18:10 pm »
Have you southern beeks seen a change in the SHB numbers this year? I have see very few this year compared to previous years.

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: SHB Numbers
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 12:22:25 pm »
the past 6 years I usually find about 4-5 on top of the intercover, this year its about 10-30, seems there is more with all this rain.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 12:37:12 pm »
Strange, we are only 100 miles apart. Maybe I need some new glasses.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 01:40:42 pm »
 I have seen fewer, but I was attributing it to moving the hives getting the problem ones out in full sun.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 05:29:26 pm »
the past 6 years I usually find about 4-5 on top of the intercover, this year its about 10-30, seems there is more with all this rain.

Do you do anything at all for control or just try to keep strong hives? 

I saw one small black beetle in my one and only hive a few days ago and panicked a bit.  I don't know if it was a SHB or not.  I also saw a cockroach (or brown water bug, I'm not sure if it's really the same thing or not) on my inner cover a week or so ago.   I never saw anything like that except a few ants until I spilled a 1/2 quart of sugar water on top of the inner cover, and now in addition to those nasties I have yellow jackets nosing around as well.  I still don't have a plague or anything, but I feel pretty dumb for that one.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 06:38:40 pm »

Do you do anything at all for control or just try to keep strong hives?  

no I dont do anything like traps and such but I do try to mash as many as possible  ;)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 10:36:45 pm »
More this year --- some hives loaded coming out of winter. Holding my breath now, this is when they usually start hitting me hard!!!
John 3:16

Offline Bee J

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 05:46:20 pm »
I found SHB for the first time ever last week in Central Virginia.....I sprayed the earth under the hives with nematodes and am going to put in traps...has anyone tried using Diatomaceous Earth instead of oil in a trap?  Seems like it would be easier to handle.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 08:21:38 am »
I believe that it works well. However despite the inconvenience of oil I still prefer to use it

Mick

Offline Bee J

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 03:44:53 am »
Thank you, Mick!

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 06:04:23 am »
There are plenty on my hives on my deck (where there is no ground for them to breed????) and very few to none at the Blue Heron hives that are in the middle of a woodland field?

What gives?

Linda T

Offline Bee J

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 05:16:33 pm »
Linda, sorry I have no clue why except you can never tell with bees   :-D   I do have a stupid question:
do you put the oil in an AJ trap before you put it in the hive or put the trap in first and fill it?   :oops:

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 10:26:22 am »
I do put the oil in the trap first - I guess if I were filling with a squirt bottle, I could put the trap in and then fill it.  My friend George has a great way of doing it - he puts masking tape across a flower pot in tiny rows and hangs the AJ between the masking tape strips so he can carry the filled traps to the hives.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 12:50:49 pm »
It sounds like full sun in the field versus shade trees in your back yard. If that's the case, it'll be that way every time. SHB hate sun.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bee J

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 02:28:01 am »
Thanks, Linda......great idea with the masking tape.......I think I'll squirt mine in the trap with a syringe after it's in the hive....I think I would spill it otherwise

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 02:39:50 am »
An old post said you can get a syringe with a curved tip from a veterinarian.

I hand handle them and fill before putting them in --- it is a pain! I have an Italian hive tool and use the hook when removing them.
John 3:16

Offline Bee J

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 03:51:23 pm »
I have one of those syringes with the curved tip & it works perfectly....got mine from my periodontist  :roll:

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 02:32:21 pm »
I was overrun with SHB overnight.  I was told that one adult can lay 5000 eggs and I believe it.

I made 2 style traps.  One out of corrugated plastic board and some others out of CD cases.  I was desperate and did not have enough honey reserves to rob anyway.  For that reason I baited with roach killer in paste form and the SHB are WIPED OUT.  I also treated with Apiguard and my hives have never been stronger.

Trying to survive the winter and planning for next year.
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP