Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drones being expelled in Winter, what can I learn about the hive?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
Hi,
I am in Australia where it is mid Winter, but quite a mild one. Day time temps are around 57F, and 43 at night.
I have three nucs in one yard, and all are working hard, bringing in pollen and growing. They've probably doubled in size in the last couple of months, starting off a very low base where they were starving and shrinking fast.

The strongest nuc has suddenly had several dead or dying drones appear, and I've seen them forced out by the bees. The last few days it's been a few degrees cooler with rain, so they haven't been flying much. Thinking that they are feeling like the food has run out and throwing out the drones for this reason, I opened them for a look. Too cold to lift a frame today, but there is lots of bees, and the baggy of sugar syrup I have on top of the frames is untouched - they don't seem hungry to me, and are still bringing in pollen. Everything looks nice inside, though that's only looking at the top of the frames!

Anyone have an opinion on what's going on in this hive? Any ideas appreciated.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Drones being expelled in Winter, what can I learn about the hive?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:46:54 pm »
They don't need the drones anymore as it's winter, no mating!  Since all they do is eat, poop, mate & hog the remote the girls kick em out!!  They are making sure the food WILL last till spring, then they will make more drones for the next season.  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Re: Drones being expelled in Winter, what can I learn about the hive?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 03:36:07 pm »

I overheard this last fall at one of my hives :

Drone:Slurp,slurp,slurp......

Worker: What is it with you drones, lay around all day eating & going out chasing skirts and come back,   eat some more, well we're gettin' a bit tired of it.

Drone: Shaddup already, don't you have alot of work to do ?

Worker: That's it, You're outta here !!!!!!

Queen: Knock off the racket up there, I'm trying to get some rest !

:-D

anything