Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moving Bees to California - Any Law?  (Read 9977 times)

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
Moving Bees to California - Any Law?
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:58:47 pm »
Hey everyone,

I'm considering a job opportunity that would take us back to California (Northern). While I don't like the thought of moving the opportunity is exciting.

Would anyone know about any regulation (city/state law) stopping me from taking my soon-to-be-resurrected two beehives with me, and have them in my backyard? Of course I'd make sure they have the right care and all that good neighborly stuff. I'm more concerned with backyard beekeeping rules in general.

Regards,

UtahBees (Scott)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Moving Bees to California - Any Law?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 11:21:23 pm »
we have a bunch of n ca people on here.  what county would you be in?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 11:25:20 pm »
Scott

Yes, where in Northern California?? Near me??

I do not know of any regulations regarding bees at least around here. They seem to be rather lax out here I have noticed.

Good Luck on this major decision
Annette

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 11:26:54 pm »
we have a bunch of n ca people on here.  what county would you be in?

Right. I thought about posting that, but that part hasn't been decided. I just know it'll be the Bay Area. Sorry to be so vague - things aren't decided for sure and we're not packed or anything. I just want to live near the foothills somewhere close-ish to the city (San Fran) for commute time (BART or CalTrain, I'm sure).

Thanks for the help Kathy & Annette!

Regards,

Scott

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 11:33:31 pm »
Bay area is a whole different set of rules and regulations. I am about 120 miles north of Bay Area. Yes you should get more info about that place. A whole different world than up where I am.

Annette

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 11:40:30 pm »

I just know it'll be the Bay Area.

I just want to live near the foothills somewhere close-ish to the city (San Fran) for commute time (BART or CalTrain, I'm sure).

Are you nuts  :?
I would rather be where you are now than anywhere near San Francisco.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 12:21:29 am »
You have to have ant certs and they have to be inspected at the Ca state lines for bugs ect. Look at the Dept of Ags site for State of Ca. You would wind up way north of me then as Sf is 4 hrs north of me.

Angi

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 12:30:52 am »
I seriously don't think there are any major constraints.  Rdy-b lives near Walnut Creek, he may know.  I am a member of the SF Bee Association, drop them an email:  kpetereos@comcast.net  she should know about any regs...

We don't have any here in Santa Cruz County, I am in an unincorporated rural area though....

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 01:04:26 am »
Much appreciated friends. I'll have a look into it on the Dept of Agr. site, and also ping Rdy-b.

I may just leave them here with my brother-in-law for short term at first, so I plan on making it a smooth transfer.

Regards,

Scott

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 08:54:30 pm »
The only thing that comes to mind would be if you moved into a neighborhood that had a home owners association to deal with but -arnt those every where? You might get some hot air at the bug station coming through Nevada -but just use the lane that says LOCAL TRAFIC only -your call -one thing about the bay-area is the vast number of micro climates we have in just a short distance from each other many changes in a few miles -try to pin piont where about you would settle -they better pay some big bucks to move here the cost is through the roof -many deals on houses because of meltdown but it is still crazy expensive -California is bee friendly- the state cant pay for a full-time Inspector   :lol: and you dont have to register in contra costa county intill you reach 9 colonies -many clubs for urban keepers -let me know if the move looks like it will happen and i will help open any doors for you that i can  8-) RDY-B

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 09:41:57 pm »
Thanks RDY-B!

Scott

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 09:12:32 am »
You thinking of moving back to CA. Can I use you place in SLC as a winter resort to practice my snowboarding. :)

California has some pretty strict rules on beehives that come into the state just ask all those beekeepers trying to do Almond farming.

The hives should be inspected before they leave and be free of pests. In Florida if there is one ant in the hive they will ground the the entire truck.

If you are going to the Bay area try to find something in Pacfica or the surrounding communities. The bees will love the area. Also there is enough open space. Not all the neighbors are squeezed together. If you are in San Jose area try just at the edge of Menlo Park. It is close to schools than Pacfica but the homes are closer together. And if you get a home in Pacfica I will use that a s a summer vacation spot. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 10:03:32 am »
Hi Buddy
I went to Arizona a year ago to purchase two deep nuc's fro Dee Lusby.On my return as I came back into California I was stopped at the Produce checking station and by the Immigration police looking for someone.Both parties couldn't be bothered.I had both nuc's on the front seat of my truck.I told them I had bees they said ok.I had screened top and bottom so they could breath and I could spray with a water bottle.You will have no problem
kirko
los angeles
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 12:16:08 pm »
You thinking of moving back to CA. Can I use you place in SLC as a winter resort to practice my snowboarding. :)

California has some pretty strict rules on beehives that come into the state just ask all those beekeepers trying to do Almond farming.

The hives should be inspected before they leave and be free of pests. In Florida if there is one ant in the hive they will ground the the entire truck.

If you are going to the Bay area try to find something in Pacifica or the surrounding communities. The bees will love the area. Also there is enough open space. Not all the neighbors are squeezed together. If you are in San Jose area try just at the edge of Menlo Park. It is close to schools than Pacifica but the homes are closer together. And if you get a home in Pacfica I will use that a s a summer vacation spot.

,bees dont do well in pacifica -because the sun only comes out 1/3 of the time it is always fogy -try to find something on the other side of the BAY-you will have a more harmonious experience

:lol: 8-) RDY-B 

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 12:40:38 pm »
Understudy, Kirko-o and RDY-B,

Thanks for the advice! I like Pacifica/Half Moon Bay a lot, I also like Lafayette/Walnut Creek/Danville area, or the San Mateo area too, but I'm doing a lot of research, and will be there this next week on business.

Lots to put into a plan, but glad that I won't see much issues with the bees. Since I have to start over this year, the girls will be relatively pest free to start with, and I'll make sure to keep it that way.

I'll let you know what happens, and thanks again for the help everyone! You gotta love our community here!

Regards,

Scott

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 05:12:28 pm »
If you're starting over wouldn't it be simple to purchase bees there?

Or not    lol

cheers

peter

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 05:21:49 pm »
If you're starting over wouldn't it be simple to purchase bees there?

Yeah - it's all timing. I want to make sure I don't miss the 'new package' window.

Thanks -

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 05:32:36 pm »
Couldn't resist asking about the elephant in the room    lol

Best of everything in your new adventures

cheers

peter

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 01:09:06 am »
There is Still a person taking orders for packages near Sacramento. Just let me know if you want his info.

Angi

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 01:15:21 am »
You might want to contact Sacramento Beekeeping Supply and find out what they have.