Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beetle Time  (Read 9385 times)

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Beetle Time
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:41:13 am »
Should you keep beetle traps on year round or is there a certain temperature/time of the year when the pesky critters are inactive?
linda d

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Beetle Time
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 01:00:39 pm »
When the bees go into winter cluster, the beetles climb in there also.   Nobody moves around.    What kind of beetle traps are you using?   Use them until it is too cold for them to move around.   

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 04:49:13 pm »
I am just using the disposable kind that hang on the top of the frames and you put oil in it and supposedly the beetles will go in an can't get back out and drown in the oil or something.
linda d

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 04:56:59 pm »
I have not seen the beetle this year like I did last season.  I poison them with homemade traps made from plastic corrugated realty signs.  I take the traps out during the flow but if I don't have any prospects of honey I leave them in and have considerably reduced the beetle numbers.  I know some don't like to use the poison but dang it works great and a little dab will do you.
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 11:33:35 am »
I am a realtor.  Now I know where all my stolen signs go.  :-D :-D :-D

Actually, someone had made a bunch of those corrugated strips and was giving them out free at our last state beekeeps convention.  I didn't know what they were for at the time.  Should have taken a handful.
linda d

Offline Chuck Cook

• Brood
    • Chucks Honey Bees
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 10:17:04 am »
My SHB population is almost zero this time of year.  Like was stated, I am sure they are there but just not moving around much.  I use the Freeman style ventilated screened bottom board with good success.

Chuck in Jacksonville

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 01:18:46 pm »

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 10:49:42 pm »
I have beetles, but I don't see them having any impact on my 11 hives.  I don't use any poisons.  I smash them when I can but they are not hurting my hives.  The hive that had the most shb (to my eye) had the most honey per frame this year.  Is it because I use plastic frames???  Is it because i use feral bees???  I don't have varroa problems either.  No chemicals go into the hives.  I use sbb and screen tops from march to october but close them up in winter. 
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 11:45:23 pm »
That is a very interesting video by Fat Man. Right now, I do not have SHB, but they say they are coming here one day.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 12:28:49 am »
That is a very interesting video by Fat Man. Right now, I do not have SHB, but they say they are coming here one day.

Small Hive Beetle in California - http://entomology.ucdavis.edu/faculty/Mussen/beebriefs/SmallHiveBeetleinCalifornia.pdf

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 04:18:32 am »
This topic is close to my heart.  I live at Coffs Harbour NSW Australia which is a sub tropical climate.  The last three years have been really wet & SHB are rampant.  I have returned to beekeeping after a 20 year break & dealing with SHB has been a sharp learning curve. 

I use AJ's beetle eaters which help a bit particularly with nucs.  The real key to keeping ahead of them is to keep your hives strong & crowded.  Frames not covered with bees are an invitation to SHB & they will be slimed.

It is not uncommon to lift the lid & hive mat to find 20 to 30 beetles making a retreat into the darkness of the hive.  One tip is to lay the lid (migratory) on the ground  rim up then put the super on top of it.  The beetles will retreat to the darkness.  When you are finished your inspection there will be beetles inside the lid.  Lay into them with your thumb.  The bees will help by herding them into the corners.  Realistically I think it's futile.  Just as many will fly in later in the day.

Another spot that they congregate is in the metal edging around metal queen excluders.  I killed about 50 SHB's from the edge of an excluder today.  Take it a way from the hive & smoke them out then squash them.

It is tempting to use chemical controls however I am resisting that.  Despite the beetles the girls are doing well & I should extract 20 to 30 litres of honey from a couple of hives in the next fortnight if we get a few fine days.

Any frames removed from the hives go into the chest freezer then into several layers of heavy duty garbage bags for storage.  I'm thinking of investing in an airtight coolroom or a bigger chest freezer for long term storage.

Despite being sub tropical my hives are located in a spot that gets light frosts in the winter which I think assists with their control but they really get going in the summer.  They are also doing well in my worm farms.

I have started to keep a nucleus hive on my verandah so that I can have watch them.  It is distressing to see SHB fly into the hive in the evening.  They also fly into my beer which is also upsetting.  As I write this I have a small pile of them on the table next to my computer.

Good luck with your SHB control.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 02:30:32 pm »
Yes, I have heard about them in the central valley and south. But I am in the Northern part and right now, they have not arrived. It is a matter of time.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 02:52:28 pm »
I could send you some, then you could be the first to have them in the north valley.   :-D

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 03:34:47 pm »
haven't had seen them here either... no thanks in advance Allen ... I can wait

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 04:43:09 pm »

Despite being sub tropical my hives are located in a spot that gets light frosts in the winter which I think assists with their control but they really get going in the summer.  They are also doing well in my worm farms.

Good luck with your SHB control.

I wonder if the snows and below freezing weather we've had here in the south this year will have any effect on out SHB populations this coming year? I sure hope so...

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 04:58:57 pm »
I really doubt it.  They just dug in deeper.   

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 09:02:17 pm »
It was a warm day for a change here in the south so I opened my hives to check their food stores. I never saw so many beetles so early in the year as I saw today. In a couple of hives they appeared to eat the eggs as fast as the queen would lay them. I placed traps in all hives.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 09:15:03 pm »
That ain't good.   I did not open my hives today, just checked to see if bees were flying from every hive.  Rain tomorrow.

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 11:31:48 am »
Steve

I don't think I have heard of them eating eggs.  Scary.  Is that what they do instead of eating pollen?
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 12:13:00 pm »
Steve

I don't think I have heard of them eating eggs.  Scary.  Is that what they do instead of eating pollen?

I don't have anything to back it up except: hives with heavy infestation usually have little brood and I see beetles crawling from cell to cell on the frame where the queen is located.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

anything