Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Removing a large hive from a tree  (Read 4071 times)

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
Removing a large hive from a tree
« on: February 08, 2013, 10:40:12 pm »
  I have been given permission to remove a hive from a tree on public property.  The hive is hanging from a limb with nothing under it, so it is OK access.  It is about the size of a Harley Davidson tire.  Do I just detach it from the limb and drop it into a plastic bag and rehive it at the bee yard?  Or do I cut some comb put it in empty frames, try for the queen and put the nuc next to it? There is no power so I can't use my bee vac.

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
Re: Removing a large hive from a tree
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:06:56 pm »
I have done them as a cut out. Rubber band or hinge frame witch ever you prefer.
David
My-smokepole

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:23:24 pm »
Open Hive?

Check with Hardwood. He gets some of these every year. He lives in florida and is one of the greats on the forum doing removals.

John.

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 10:10:38 am »
Plastic bag = dead

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 10:21:25 am »
Thanks for the compliment John!

Yeah, we do several open air colony removals every year...just finished one a couple of days ago in fact. It's almost always best to remove them comb by comb, if feasible, to reduce the chance of injuring the queen or other bees for that matter. If they are small enough to move the whole thing and they are located in a tough spot to work or there are public safety issues it might be best to move the whole thing and deal with it back in a bee yard though.

Here's one of each method:

Michelle's bees.wmv

Ebb Tide bees

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 01:01:28 pm »
Awesome videos!  Thanks for sharing.  Personally, I've never seen an open air hive.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 04:26:48 pm »
I have made some new swarm catchers for just this situation.. I have taken 5 Gal. water jugs, cut out  the bottom used pvc fittings to  close off the neck, ending up with 1 1/4 female in the neck, using 1 1/4 pvc pipe to extend up as high as needed. slip the open end over the swarm and move it up sharply and bees fall into the water jug . Off to the hive, turn it right side up, dumping the bee's in to it... JPP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 04:51:00 pm »
Yep, the idea of placing the entire thing in a box will not work for a variety of reasons. You must do a cut out.

Look at Hardwood's videos and here are some of my own with my buddies Schawee and Bud.

Best of luck to you!

...JP

Old Metairie External Hive On Tree Branch

The Bickering Bee Keepers Remove Another External Bee Hive From An Oak Tree

Me, Bud & Schawee Remove Bees From A Fig Tree - Mobile.m4v
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 04:53:22 pm »
JPBEEGETTER, We do the same thing only with a bucket/lid/extension pole.

Bud4 1
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 05:15:33 pm »
Scott, I  found that you don't need to use a top, It will just kill bees when you snap it over. they will stay in bucket .  Joel  JPP

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 07:00:32 pm »
Woops JP. MY bad I must hve missed your vids of open air hive removals. Your also one of the greats here of course.  :oops:

John

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 11:01:48 am »
Scott, here are pic's of my swarm catcher, would have gotten back sooner , but you know how that goes..JPP

comes with (2) 5 foot sections of 1 1/4 gray PVC the white PVC deteriorates too fast. poles slip together so can be removed for storage and removing to place bees in hive, has handle on side for easy pouring of bees into hive, works great and easily...JPP
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:15:15 am by JPBEEGETTER »

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 12:15:44 pm »
beegeter  that pole extendx to 20', and with a good swarm in it kinda hard to hold without letting it in befor dumping hence top
to bee or not to bee

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 04:28:34 pm »
Bud, with the 1 1/4 inch PVC you can extend it as far up as you have  sections. The sections of PVC all have coupler ends so fit together .Have the ability to remove as much as you want to or take off down to the jug to release the bees. the pole you have is too long to drop bees into hive, but with mine while I am taking to hive  I am removing sections of "pole" 5ive or ten feet at a time and then with the side handle pour bees into hive ..Smooth. JPP

anything