Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wanted: Child Sized Bee Suit  (Read 4402 times)

Offline xC0000005

• New Bee
    • Voice of the Hive - Beekeeping and Honeybees
Wanted: Child Sized Bee Suit
« on: February 05, 2008, 02:17:43 am »
Can't hurt to post this here - I'm looking for a used (gently or not) child sized bee suit.  I know I can buy new, but children grow and bee suits do not, so I'd rather a used one. If you have a (very small) child sized bee suit (for a 4-6 year old) then let me know.
"Tell me again why you want to put a box with thousands of angry, stinging insects in our backyard?" - my wife.

http://www.voiceofthehive.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Wanted: Child Sized Bee Suit
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 03:00:45 am »
Can't hurt to post this here - I'm looking for a used (gently or not) child sized bee suit.  I know I can buy new, but children grow and bee suits do not, so I'd rather a used one. If you have a (very small) child sized bee suit (for a 4-6 year old) then let me know.

Good luck, I've been looking for one too.  I have grandchildren that want to help grandpa with his bees.  New ones are too expensive and most of my grandchildern are too close in age to need it for long.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:34:23 pm »
When I got one for my son he was 11. I found it at better bee. I saw suits for "children" in MannLake LTD. Sorry I dont know have a used suit.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 04:21:34 pm »
This is going to sound silly but try Goodwill or the Salvation Army if you haven't already. Ask if they have some in the back. because they will save seasonal items in some locations.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 05:52:56 pm »
That is a tough call to get kids stuff for sure, they do grow so dang fast.  Just a thought, what about finding a pair of very small coveralls.  Putting some elastic around the pant cuffs and the sleeves, and then buying a veil and hat.  The veil and hat would fit for years.  Just some thoughts, it is so expensive to buy stuff for the kids.  OR..... :evil: just get the hat and veil and get the kids used to no gloves, no extra protection on their bodies....Good luck, and have a beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 03:08:10 am »
Dadant was supposed to get cheaper ones in. I have to ask because I need one for a 4yo and for a 7yo

Angi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 08:38:55 pm »
I've decided to do the same thing for them I do for me.  I haven't changed my style of bee suit in 50 years.  Tan pants (Dickies) and Tan Shirt (denim).  Worked then works now and you can get them in all sizes.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 08:33:45 am »
Get a Tyvek painters suit!  You can get them from Home Depot for like $10.  They wont last very long but they work great.  Before I got my bee suit from Betterbee I used a Tyvek suit for 3 months before the rear tore out.   :-D
I bought like 3 different sizes incase friends or my 11 year old sister wants to help in the apiary.  All you'll need is a vale with tie strings and helmet which they can grow into.  Gloves are cheap too.
The Tyvek material isnt sting proof, but the bees have a hard time grabbing hold onto the material.  I never got stung with my Tyvek suit but have been stung many times with my expensive cotton suit.  lol
It also has elastic on the legs and arms which helps keep the bees from crawling up.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13