Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: It will happen, just don't freak out!  (Read 11779 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: It will happen, just don't freak out!
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 05:03:32 pm »
Hot hives just mean I watch all nine innings of a ball game and have an early beer. If they are hot, I just come back tomorrow. Unless harvetsing honey, then I just suit up and get it over with. Nothings that important w/ my hives. Maybe when I have more but right now I can inspet all five w/in an hour if I need.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 11:14:55 pm »
I have a couple of cedar trees that actually touch.  When I want to lose some really determined bees, I run through there.  I learned that trick from the horses.  Nothing wrong with running away from angry bees, it's a good way to lose the "followers".
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 11:16:52 pm »
I have a couple of cedar trees that actually touch.  When I want to lose some really determined bees, I run through there.  I learned that trick from the horses.  Nothing wrong with running away from angry bees, it's a good way to lose the "followers".

I'm sorry but that made me chuckle. :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 08:49:26 am »

I'm sorry but that made me chuckle. :-D

I would like to see that, Michael Bush running from bees, lol!!! Will you still answer my questions after this comment Michael?  ;)

....JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 10:44:58 am »
>Will you still answer my questions after this comment Michael?

Of course.  I especially run when I'm not wearing a veil and one decides to chase me off.  If one wants to chase me off, and I have no gear on, I comply.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 11:57:17 am »
>Will you still answer my questions after this comment Michael?

Of course.  I especially run when I'm not wearing a veil and one decides to chase me off.  If one wants to chase me off, and I have no gear on, I comply.

LOL, I was chased last summer. I took off across the pasture like a bat out of hell. I suddenly realized the girls wern't turning back and I started to panic and yell.

Finally they turned back and I looked up and saw my wife and 3 kids standing on the back deck laughing at me.
  :-\

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 02:37:25 pm »
 Don't know why but I Can't help thinking of Alfred Hitchcock  :-D
I also keep thinking of those bees forming into an arrow like in those old cartoons chasing MB through the trees. :-D
When I was little we were playing ball in the side yard and the ball went into a large evergreen and didnt come out. I reached in and grabbed what I thought to be the ball but was in reality a large nest of BIG black wasps. :shock: I had an entire nest of wasps wailing away on my hand and arm and yes I ran screaming for my mommy being chased the entire way.  Makes me chuckle when I think about it now  :-D Although I still have a fear of evergreen bushes for some odd reason

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 01:09:32 am »
One of my early cutouts was in a tree that they said I could cut into.  My friend and I cut into and tried to extract the bees from this hollow tree while the family sat in their lawnchairs and watched.  They got a lot of laughs, especially when several bees found their way into my beesuit...
-------------------

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 10:39:39 am »
Hee, hee, haw, haw, now this is a funnnneeeee thread. I don't know why, but other peoples' misery makes me laugh (Jerry, na, na, na, na, na).  Kidding aside.  There is a funny side to the stories that people tell about their mishaps with the bees.  At the time I know that the stories are serious, but in all deep retrospect, we should be able to laugh at ourselves, and tell others our funnnnnneeee little tales.  Have the best of this wonderful and beautiful day, love our earth, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2008, 12:22:14 pm »
I've always found running away to be a waste.  I usually am fully suited up when I inspect the hives; since it's so quick and easy to do, but I like sitting about 5 ft. in front and watching them every now and then.  If they're in one of their rare grumpy moods they'll take exception to this and go on the attack.  If I just mosey on out of there they quit chasing fairly quickly.  The couple times I ran it just seemed to egg them on and i couldn't stop until I was inside the house or a hundred yards or more away from the hive.

Offline Burl

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2008, 04:15:32 pm »
My beeyard is located near a large man-made pond .  One day last summer I must have done something to offend them , because a tornado of bees ensued from one hive and then it turned into a black cloud and began to pursue me .  Well , run to the water I did .  Good thing I can hold my breath under water as long as I can .  I imagined them saying to each other " where'd he go , I coulda sworn he was just here ? " .
  ---Burl--- DIVE,DIVE, DIVE !
Of all the things I've ever been called ;
I do like "Dad" the most .   ---Burl---

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 04:36:03 pm »
Are you sure they weren't just swarming?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2008, 10:34:05 pm »
Burl

I believe you are watching to many cartoons!!! Did they also make the shape of an arrow??

Offline Burl

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2008, 12:40:36 am »
Jerrymac , I was too chicken to wait around and ask . It was an extremely well populated hive , so that is possible .  Annette ,  sadly my times watching cartoons are lo-ooong gone .  However , I do believe I may have broken two of the cardinal rules that day , I was wearing black , and I had just put on cologne .  Brut 33 , I believe.  The will to survive can cause people to go to great extremes .  I just got wet that day , and it was quite refreshing as I remember .  I would do it all over again if ever I felt I had to.

---Burl--- Truly Goofy .
Of all the things I've ever been called ;
I do like "Dad" the most .   ---Burl---

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2008, 12:57:53 am »
When I was in my youth (long time ago), my Dad and my uncle were preparing to cut down a small swarm on a small limb.  As they were setting up a hive under the limb, another uncle snuck around the corner of the house and shot the limb into with a rifle.  The swarm fell on top of my Dad and uncle. They were well suited up, the bees were dazed and they didn't get stung.  Later that day, the uncle with the rifle got stung.  40 years later that story still makes the rounds in our family. 

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2008, 07:01:40 am »
I was asking about the swarming because one day I was walking to my hives and that it what was happening. The air suddenly filled with a cloud of bees. They flew over about thirty feet and landed in the weeds. It feels kind of strange that it happens right as you are walking to the hives.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2008, 08:31:29 pm »
I always heard that Brut 33 attracted women, maybe more so with the ladies of the hive! Next time try something like Old Spice, my wife just looks at me chuckles.

It sure is a good feeling that taking off down the hill as fast as a drag racer is not just for a newbe like me. My wife was about to bust a gut when she saw me. Those things really fly fast!

DennisB

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 10:09:26 am »
Good old brute 33 attracts anything but women :-D  flys, mosqitos , BEES.. :shock:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 10:22:29 am »
CBEE.......ah, ha, ha, ha, (how do you type laughing the guts out anyways?).  Brute, man that sure has been around for a long, long time.  Reminds me of my hippie days......have a beautiful and wonderful life, love this groovin' life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 11:51:37 am »
Yeah,,,Makes me chuckle when I think about those old commercials for old spice and brute... Who can forget HI Karate  :-D :-D