Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How big can cracks between boxes be?  (Read 11297 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: How big can cracks between boxes be?
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 12:43:30 pm »
They will be fine.   Looks like you need to do a little adjustment on your jig so you won't have to worry about it in the future.  I took advantage of some crappy weather this weekend to make some supers as well.
http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/building-honey-supers/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 01:31:14 pm »
They will be fine.   Looks like you need to do a little adjustment on your jig so you won't have to worry about it in the future.  I took advantage of some crappy weather this weekend to make some supers as well.
http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/building-honey-supers/

Yeah, I don't use it enough to be very proficient in getting it set up just right.  Pretty cool site you have there though.  How about some explanation about how you cut your hand holds?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 01:49:52 pm »
Yeah, I don't use it enough to be very proficient in getting it set up just right.  Pretty cool site you have there though.  How about some explanation about how you cut your hand holds?

Trust me I ain't very proficient at setting it up either.  You wouldn't want to see the pile of scraps I went through to get it "close enough".  That's why once I got it set up, it became my supers jig and I'm not changing it :-P 

For the hand holds I use a molding cutter in the table saw.  I built a jig to make it quicker/safer/more consistent.  Once again,  I have a collection of supers with upside down hand holds from before I built the jig.   I have some picture and I'll write up a better explanation when I get a chance.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 05:37:40 pm »

Trust me I ain't very proficient at setting it up either.  You wouldn't want to see the pile of scraps I went through to get it "close enough".  That's why once I got it set up, it became my supers jig and I'm not changing it :-P 

For the hand holds I use a molding cutter in the table saw.  I built a jig to make it quicker/safer/more consistent.  Once again,  I have a collection of supers with upside down hand holds from before I built the jig.   I have some picture and I'll write up a better explanation when I get a chance.

You must have the same dovetail jig that I have.  Like the old saying - once I cut the same piece three times and it was still too short.

Looks like you have a pretty cool shop though.  You aren't one of those elitists with heat in your shop are you?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 01:55:04 pm »
Bees are not a fussy as we are though.  If they don't like the gap in your woodenware, they will seal it up. 

When separating your supers and deeps, if you're easy with the hive tool and "ease" the boxes apart a little at a time, the pop will be more of a long crackling sound.  As someone mentioned, a little smoke in the crack just let's them know you're there and they will appreciate that.

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 09:14:49 pm »
As the guys on my framing crew used to say "we ain't build'n pianos"
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TimLa

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 10:47:59 pm »
As the guys on my framing crew used to say "we ain't build'n pianos"

HA!  Absolutely, except up here the saying is " it's not a 787, don't worry about it "

-T
Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.