Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Arapahoe County, Colorado  (Read 1932 times)

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
Hello from Arapahoe County, Colorado
« on: May 04, 2009, 04:41:06 pm »
Hi folks, my name is John and I'm working with a beekeeper with some experience (Shaux on this forum).  I'm physically located SE of Denver, a high plains desert.  My grandfather was a beekeeper in Virginia (close to Roanoke).  Shaux had the equipment, I have 2 acres of property in my neighborhood and we're doing a joint hobby venture.  We received the bee package last week from Long Lane and installed them, at which point the weather turned really cold.  It dropped into the mid thirties for a couple of nights.  We moved the hive into the garage and kept them warm with a heater and put them back outside yesterday morning.  Shaux and I did a hive inspection yesterday (what a rush for a first timer) and he had to release the queen.  Since the queen got released, the workers have been slurping down the sugar water from the feeder.  Bees are fascinating creatures and I've enjoyed watching them so far.  Shaux says you guys have been quite helpful, thanks very much.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: Hello from Arapahoe County, Colorado
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 04:57:02 pm »
Hello and Welcome John
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 07:52:16 pm »
Hi John, Welcome to the forum.
I'm in northern colorado in Loveland near fort collins so I guess that we are sort of neighbors. This is a great forum, I hope that you find it as usefull as I have.
Alfred

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 11:38:58 pm »
John, welcome to our forum, great you found us.  YOu are fortunate to have someone to work bees with you, that can be so useful.  The rush that you felt when you were doing the deep hive inspection, well you ain't seen nuthin' yet.  This world of the honeybee is the most fascinating thing to be involved in, you will enjoy every moment with the bees.  And sounding weird or not, a sting now and then is also a good rush, smiling.  Stick around.  Here will be a place you can visit with people that love to listen, and offer advice when asked.  It will be a great learning place, as well as a place to tell your stories, tales and experiences, and make some new friends.  Have that wonderful day, love this life, and great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 11:45:42 pm »
Welcome
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams