Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I really made 'em mad  (Read 5078 times)

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
I really made 'em mad
« on: May 03, 2009, 04:27:59 pm »
smoker went out - too much green stuff (I used a hot air gun to get it going with the soup can insert I've seen suggested on here)
I was inspecting my biggest hive - tons of bees one full medium and - I added a small super (6-5/8) underneath to give them more room for brood. (I'm sure that isn't tons of bees to the more experienced among you but it's a real boomtown among mine)
everything was going fine until a heavy medium frame slipped and banged on the rack - they flew out spoiling for a fight and my black dog  (who looks more like a hog than a bear) took the punishment for my clumsiness; he had to have taken 30 or more stings - I worked them a little more, but seeing how angry they were I went off and relit the smoker to try and calm them down. never found the queen, but they never stung me either - head butted the veil a couple times - and I was wearing short sleeves with the long gloves. I can't believe I wasn't stung, but I'm awfully sorry I made them so mad. I went back a dozen minutes or so later and that stupid dog followed me, and it was on all over again. Had one try to dig into my hair. I wouldn't call them a hot hive but I did give them an excuse.
poor stupid dog. no pics, my wife hid in the jeep. (can't say as I blame her she doesn't have a veil.).
anyway - I guess I'm looking for technique suggestions for picking up heavy frames. (when I reinstall the frames I give a series of gentle bumps while moving into the frame beside, to give them a chance to clear away from the closing space).
be happy and make others happy.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: I really made 'em mad
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 06:12:06 pm »
>>>>(when I reinstall the frames I give a series of gentle bumps while moving into the frame beside, to give them a chance to clear away from the closing space).<<<<

NEVER bump anything about a hive. Use the smoker to move bees.

A medium is 6 5/8....A deep is 9 5/8.

>>>>I guess I'm looking for technique suggestions for picking up heavy frames.<<<<

I hold a frame with two hands when moving it.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 06:15:47 pm »
I use two hands as well. I'm a TBH guy and dropping a bar just ruins it. Could mess up a lot of good work with a frame as well.

Bumping is probably the best way to get them angry. Tried to blow some bees away once. They don't like my breath either. That made them really angry.
--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

Offline jojoroxx

• House Bee
  • Northern California Nature Girl
    • SoHumMushers
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 06:26:15 pm »
I use an aluminum frame grip and love it. Use the perch too.

Best advice give to me re: working bees? Everything is done in SLOW MOTION. That has really helped me understand them better, and we both have a better time when I am working them.

Now the dog....that is another story! :shock: Hope the pup is feeling better. NOTE: Benydryl can be given to dogs safely, and it really helps with the swelling and irritation.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 06:42:49 pm »
>>>>(when I reinstall the frames I give a series of gentle bumps while moving into the frame beside, to give them a chance to clear away from the closing space).<<<<

NEVER bump anything about a hive. Use the smoker to move bees.

a medium is 6 5/8....a deep is 9 5/8.

>>>>I guess I'm looking for technique suggestions for picking up heavy frames.<<<<

I hold a frame with two hands when moving it.

I use two hands as well. I'm a TBH guy and dropping a bar just ruins it. Could mess up a lot of good work with a frame as well.

Bumping is probably the best way to get them angry. Tried to blow some bees away once. They don't like my breath either. That made them really angry.

I better clarify - I do use 2 hands - the frame slipped.
as to bumping, I probably used the wrong word altogether; once the frame is seated on on the hive body. I nudge and back off as I'm sliding it back beside the other frames (where the space between frames closes and opens) so the bees know to clear out of the closing space so they don't get pinched between the frames.

edit: I thought a deep was 11-5/8

edit2: I really like the idea of a frame grip now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 06:56:01 pm by Bee Happy »

Offline WOB419

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 10:29:14 pm »
Try going bare handed.  It is much more effective than working with gloves and more manly than the metal frame gripper.  Smoke your hands a lot and you will be fine - smoke your hands more than you smoke that bees and you will all be very happy.  I don't wear gloves very often because they make me clumsy when handling the frames. 

A few stings every now and then is good for you.  After being stung 4 or 5 times my reactions to the stings really diminished.  I find the the bee venom helps with a problem that I have with my hands so I often catch a couple of the girls and have them sting my wrists, which really helps.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 10:50:01 pm »
Hi Beehappy!
 If I was you, I'd stay with the technique youre using now....dog and all!!! :-D
Its way to entertaining to change it on us now!
 Your current technique is VERY similar to mine, by the way! Very impressive!! ...But, you oughtta get another dog!!! I have seven, and that really has the bees a buzzing!
 However,...try to make the dogs stay in the house when you go to feed the bees in your underwear...If I go out in my underwear to mess with the bees( cuzz its too hot to put clothes on somethimes) my wife will sometimes lock me out if I'm running back to the house!

your friend,
john

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 11:22:07 pm »

Hi Beehappy!
 If I was you, I'd stay with the technique youre using now....dog and all!!! :-D
Its way to entertaining to change it on us now!
 Your current technique is VERY similar to mine, by the way! Very impressive!! ...But, you oughtta get another dog!!! I have seven, and that really has the bees a buzzing!
 However,...try to make the dogs stay in the house when you go to feed the bees in your underwear...If I go out in my underwear to mess with the bees( cuzz its too hot to put clothes on somethimes) my wife will sometimes lock me out if I'm running back to the house!

your friend,
john
:lau: of the 3 dogs for them to sting; this one has given me a chomp in the past (not supposed to break up fighting dogs - yeah I know) I hesitate to say 'karma' but  let's be fair - I was the klutz and they went straight for him (He seems pretty ok now- for a cranky arthritic dog who looks a lot like rocky right now with one eye swollen). and you do have a point... I screw up - they go for the black dog who has bitten me. - I wonder how many times he's going to pay the price for biting me from the girls.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 01:36:17 am »
I've been using my bare hands for years, tried a frame grip today.  Lost the 1st frame I pulled.  It does give the feeling of control bare hands do.  I'm for bare hands, one on each end of the frame so that if one hand slips the other still has a grip.  Better to jar the frame a little from one hand slipping than trying to pull a frame with broken comb out of the grass with bees stuck to it and soon stuck to you.  Even a frame with wood all the way around will have the comb break when dropped.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 07:41:40 pm »
I've been weaning myself into bare hands if I just want to sneak a peek into the honey super (I should stay out and let the bees take their course) - I HAD to know if they were working it (queen excluder) so I pulled a center frame bare handed.
Still working up the nerve to do a full inspection bare handed; but that's my plan.
I'm not looking for divine retribution or a come-uppance but we've had the first hive over a month (checking weekly for progress from nuc) and down to 2 weeks, with 2 additional hives, so I can rotate my inspections and still satisfy my cravings to poke around. - but they haven't stung me once. I know it's coming but I'd much rather one or two here and there.

Offline WOB419

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 08:54:15 pm »
Bee Happy, the sooner you start with bare hands the easier it will be.  My bee club had a field day where we got into one of the member's hives before our bees arrived.  That is where I started with bare hands and it has made me more confident in the hive, because I don't worry about getting stung.  It is like learning to swim and jumping in over your head for the first time - after the first time you do it, it is easy.  The sting are a signal that you are beeing to ruff with the girls and you won't get that signal through the gloves.

Offline pollenchucker

• House Bee
  • 42 days and their wings fall off, eh?
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 09:33:14 pm »
Well I have 2 dogs and each of them was stung twice on their first encounters with the hive and  now they always sit about 10 feet behind me when I go into the hive and if a bee comes near them the flip around in circles then get the heck out of dodge.  They know whats what now.
Just keep the smoker lit from now on, use it moderately,  and wear your gear and dont bump stuff around as has already been suggested. 
I had my own encounter last week that resulted n my getting about 3 stings in the forehead and 3 on the wrist and after thinking about it realized just like in most cases it was my fault not theirs. Although they're the ones that died for their efforts and I got better pretty quick.
=pc

Offline WayneW

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 10:27:51 pm »
Guess i have really gentle bees....and maybe ESP  :?

When i bought my 1st hive, the man i got them from walked me up to the hive and opened it up barehanded. I was standing right next to him. all he asked was that i didnt swat, siad if it made me nervous to just walk away slowly.

Took that hive home and did my first few inspections without a veil, gloves or suit, just smoke.
Then one day, I had a bad feeling, and thouhgt i should suit up. Glad i did, for no apperent reason i had a few of them chase me half way back to the house.

I like the nitrile gloves when i feel they're needed, but mostly i dont wear anything on my hands, as was mentioned, they just make me clumbsy.
A beekeeper is not what i am, it's what i aspire to become.

Offline WOB419

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 10:54:54 pm »
I have seen videos of people working bees without a veil, but not me.  That is going too far, I'm just not that much of a man.  I once cracked open the outer cover just to take a peak and BAM, one of the girls got me right between the eyes.  Now I abstain if I don't have a veil.

Offline cundald

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 11:35:33 pm »
. . . after thinking about it realized just like in most cases it was my fault not theirs. Although they're the ones that died for their efforts and I got better pretty quick.
=pc

Each time I have been stung, it been from my own fault.

This is the second time starting out with bee for me.  I have learned to work the hive with bare hands,
you are more careful, move slower, less likely to crush bees and are more observant.  It may be just luck
but I have been able to find the queen easier and more often know.

Dean
The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 12:15:26 am »
I'm new,

have yet to put on my vale or gloves.  The hives are new installs and only a couple of weeks old so very tame.  I have yet to use my smoker accept to experiment and of course an excuse to play with fire.  I have only been stung twice.  Once was when I was spreading the new package in the bottom and the other time was on purpose.  I really jabbed it in good and allowed the venom to work it's magic for a few minutes before removing the stinger.  Stung a little but it hurt like hell the next day and was hot to the touch.  Itched another day or two and was gone.  I figure if it only gets better why not get the first few worst stings out of the way on my terms.  Better to have a little swelling and itching on my arm then going to work with a big knot on my head.  Besides, how can you be smooth and confident if your a wuss about getting stung?  If I was "skeered" I would find another hobby but I "aint".

I figure the girls will let me know when it is necessary to use smoke etc.  I'm still a little sloppy with the mechanics but confident the bees will train me in a classic Pavlov conditioning way.

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 03:24:36 pm »
 You want to talk about making them mad, I was weed eating around my oldest hives, 6 in this group. They never get upset until today.  I mow around them with a tractor and finish mower and they never showed any concern. But today was the day for that to change. They exploded out and  stung me 17 times before I could get away. Of course I had a jacket and vail on but the hands were exposed. The only thing that comes to mind for the change in attitude is I was using my Ryobi weedeater insted of my Toro. Who knows? I won't make that mistake again! And of course, the poor dog took the most of the attack, poor boy!
                                              Marc

" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 07:46:36 pm »
thanks for the tips.
1. keep taking the dog
2. both hands
3. maybe a frame grip and/or frame perch.
4 barehand them
(His arthritis doesn't seem to be bothering him as much the past couple days -I wonder why)

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 06:48:35 am »
Being Skeered is not my problem..having a hive go from tame to postal..well..
Turns out a critter has been keeping the girls up at night...they are REALLY pissy. 1000 of them poured out last week and I never touched the hive, they heard or felt me working on the one next to them.

If I had not been suited up it would have been very ugly.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 08:36:41 pm »
Boy I am learning quick,

half way through my second hive inspection my girlfriend commented that they seemed to be getting agitated.  Though about using some smoke and "bam"...right on he tip of the nose.  Ouch...That hurt!  I took out my dip of Copenhagen and stuck it to my nose which did not score many points with the girlfriend.  Very little swelling or itching thanks to my self administered mega sting 2 weeks ago and possibly the tobacco.  I'm glad I did it or my nose would look like a 70 yo boozer.

Think I might start wearing the vale now.

BTW,  the hives seem to be doing well.  Plenty of brood and built out about 35% in just two weeks.
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP