Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Urban or Rural  (Read 4978 times)

Offline stanisr

• House Bee
Urban or Rural
« on: March 05, 2012, 04:17:56 pm »
I was wondering if anybody has an opinion (ha ha) if their are more swarms in urban areas or rural areas. I have observed more swarms in the urban areas myself, but did not know if this is an accurate observation.
Rick

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Urban or Rural
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:24:26 pm »
Rural swarms have more and better locations to swarm to.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:18:36 pm »
People are more likely to notice them in an Urban setting...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:26:10 pm »
Yeah...what M.B. said.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline stanisr

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:20:06 pm »
My thoughts are that the urban bees have a more consistant supply of nectar and pollen in the parks and flower gardens maintained in the cities. The rural bees have to deal with darth in the summer. Also with all the building structures of cities and towns I think the available sites to swarm too is greater than in the country.
Rick

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 08:16:35 pm »
I know of three feral hives in downtown buildings in the little town of Corsicana, our county seat.  I'm placing a few swarm traps in town this year to see what kind of action I get.  I've tried to get permission to remove one of them that would be an easy cutout but so far the owner doesn't want to.  Having better luck placing swarm traps on the rooftops of a few businesses with whom I have a friendship.

anything